Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Will filtering cure beer poops???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
dyennie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Default Will filtering cure beer poops???

I seem to have bowel issues the day after having more than two pints of home brew.

For a pale ale or IPA I primary for about a week, secondary for two weeks then keg. I use Whrilflock as a fining and my beer is pretty clear. I usually only have a little bit of sediment in the bottom of my kegs.

Would filtering remove the bowel issue???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
tootal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 22

How long have you been drinking unpasturized beer? It's the yeast that upsets your bowels. Many people won't drink draft beer because it causes problems. I even have one friend that can drink pasturized beer but give him some craft beer and his tongue gets thick and splits down the middle! We finally figured out he's allergic to live yeast! Fortunately for him, he's a boubon and coke guy! Filtering might lower the amount of yeast in your beer and make things easier on you. If most people would just keep drinking draft beer their systems would get use to it and their problems would go away.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Nope. Chances are you're getting the blats from the long chain sugars left in the batch. Just like you get from beans. Filtering will have no impact there. After a while your system will get used to things and your backside will calm down again.

BTW, you might be better off going with the long primary (no second vessel except for aging brews). I do that and haven't had excess gas for some time. At least not when I'm not eating chili or refried beans with/for dinner.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply