Will added hazelnut extract mellow over a month?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat_astronaut

Reaction score
I brewed Jamil's chocolate hazelnut porter recently. I bought Brewer's Best hazelnut extract from my LHBS. At bottling, I added 1/2 to 3/4 what the bottle suggested, and it came out tasting too much of hazelnut, with a kind of fake taste to it.

Will this subdue over time? How long will this take to die down, if it will?

I don't think it will die down that much. It might be better to pour yourself some Black and Tans to dilute it down.

Different extracts have different strengths of flavor, so it's tough to recommend an amount to someone to add. I normally add between 1 tsp to 1 tbsp for 5 gallons depending on how strong I want it. But this last time I used baking hazelnut extract from a grocery store and ended up using 2 tbsp.

I made a hazelnut brown last year and did the same as you. I only put in about half of what the bottle recommended. The hazelnut flavor was extremely overpowering. I hate to tell ya this. I let mine mellow in the keg for about 8 months and the hazelnut flavor never mellowed. Fortunately for me a buddy of mine loved it so problem solved.

I used a total of 18ml (0.60 oz) of high quality hazelnut extract in that recipe (all grain) and it was perfect. I initially used 15 ml and then added 3ml more after kegging it and taste testing.

It took more than a year for me, I made the same recipe (from MB) and used the whole bottle, it was a good beer for one, but more than one was tough - even after the year mark. Finally the keg kicked...no more hazel nut for me.

Sent from the window of an airplane...

Back