Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wild yeast in Mott's apple juice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
MikeRLynch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Wild yeast in Mott's apple juice?

Wow, interesting.

I recently made a cider last week with a few gallons of Mott's apple juice, but had about a pint left over in one of the jugs of juice. I capped it and left it on the counter for the next week, as I am lazy and rarely clean the kitchen. Today I'm finally cleaning things up a bit, and I look into the jug, and notice bubbles on the surface! Thinking nothing of it I twist off the cap to pour it out, and BOOM! The damn thing had a ton of co2 in there! I poured out the contents and it fizzed like a mother. On the bottom of the jug, there is a nice layer of what looks to me exactly like yeast sediment.

My first thought was, to find some sugar, boil it, and toss it in there to make a starter out of whatever yeast it was. But then I thought, "is that same wild yeast in my cider now?"

I pitched nottingham in the cider, so it's not a particularly aggressive strain (like a wine yeast would be), so I'm a little concerned.

At the same time, I'm going to get more Mott's and see if I can get a wild cider going, with only the contents of the jug!

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

Bad A$$! Let us know how it turns out!

All fruit has yeast in it. I think that's pretty universal, but I'm not exactly sure. However, I think it would be awesome to brew some wild cider!

What's tappening? :D

Old 10-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Anbrew
Recipes 

Crazy, I'd think it would be pasturized...it probably was, but when you opened it some yeast from your HOUSE got in there!

My semi-regularly updated beer blog: PremiumBitter
PRIMARY 1: Baltic Porter | WLP001
PRIMARY 2: Chocolate-Spearmint Winter Warmer | WLP028
SECONDARY: Spokane Falls Fresh Hop Ale (IPA) | WLP001/WLP028 (Amarillo/Columbus dry hop)
KEGS:
Liberator Doppelbock
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP001
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP028
UPCOMING: Premium Bitter, Imperial Steam Beer, Strong Scotch Ale, Munich Helles, Schwartz Bier, Rauch Bier

Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbrew View Post
Crazy, I'd think it would be pasturized...it probably was, but when you opened it some yeast from your HOUSE got in there!
That's the weird thing, it wasn't really open that long. I don't remember exactly how long it had the cap off, but it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes. Makes me want to scrub my whole apartment to get the wild yeast out!

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 10-24-2008, 04:13 AM   #5
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRLynch View Post

At the same time, I'm going to get more Mott's and see if I can get a wild cider going, with only the contents of the jug!
I did this once with a cider. It came out very vinegary and not at all agreeable.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I usually have motts white grape juice and i once got a bottle that had an "alcoholic" taste. I also noticed that there was sediment on the bottom. QC was definately slackin off that day .

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 10-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
will_cbe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRLynch View Post
That's the weird thing, it wasn't really open that long. I don't remember exactly how long it had the cap off, but it couldn't have been more than 15 minutes. Makes me want to scrub my whole apartment to get the wild yeast out!
If you poured out some of the juice, you pulled local air into the bottle. That air probably wasn't sanitary.

Will
www.comicsbyemail.com
Fermenting: Blackberry Wine
Aging: Mulberry Wine, Mint Mead, Dandelion Wine, Mesquite Mead
Drinking: Apfelwein
On Hand: Peach Mango Wine, Huck's Cider, Mulberry Mead, Orange Spice Mead, Cyser, Apfelwein, Maple Cinnamon Mead, Hard Cider, Brown Sugar Cider

Old 10-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
MikeRLynch

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_cbe View Post
If you poured out some of the juice, you pulled local air into the bottle. That air probably wasn't sanitary.
Clean room with hepa filters it is then...

Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook

Old 10-24-2008, 01:25 PM   #9
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the yeasties are everywhere!

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #10
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_cbe View Post
So the air in a traditional lambic brewery is? Get a copy of "Wild Brews". It will change your life.

Your air might not be filled with wild yeast ideal for fermenting apples or beer, but there is no hurt trying. I've always thought about trying to ferment cider with the skins of fresh picked apples. The natural wild yeast found on the apples would be perfect for wild fermentation of cider.

Last edited by Edcculus; 10-24-2008 at 02:05 PM.

Quick Reply