Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wild Hops! Now what do I do with them.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #21
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Male and female plants are easily distinguished during flowering, but no other morphological differences identify the sex of a plant. Flowers are wind pollinated and the female inflorescence develops into a "strobile," commonly called a "cone."

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/humulus/huminfo.html

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/cool/hops.html for a picture of "Male Inflorescence".

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2006, 04:12 AM   #22
Levers101
Recipes 

I've been thinking about a reduced size batch... possibly with ingredients I can wrangle at liquor store that doubles as my small LHBS. Any ideas for a low cost fermentation vessel? 2-3 gallons?

Bottled/Drinking #12: 6 Hop Variety American Pale Ale
Bottled/Drinking #13: Dry stout kit
Bottled/Drinking #14: Bavarian Wheat
Bottled/Drinking #15: Iron Red Ale

On Deck
:

Bull Sprig Brewery

Old 09-06-2006, 04:55 AM   #23
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

off topic: yes, you can ferment corn. that is where the majority of the ethanol for our blended fuels come from.

also, a drink made entirely from fermented corn is chicha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicha

Old 09-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #24
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
F' it Live on the wild side and go for it. Worse comes to worse they taste like me arse and then you'll know better next time. As for the AA's ask around at your LHBS and maybe they can give you the name of a place you can get teh AA's check out at. Hell they may even be able to give you some kind of idea on the type of hops they are.

Hmm. . .I bet I could figure out the AA content by crushing this stuff up and solublizing it in an acetone bath, and then running it through a high pressure liquid chromatography machine. (my previous life as a chemist is coming out). You'd get several spikes on the graph. . . .as long as you knew where to expect the AA's to show up. . .I think you could figure it out. All you'd need is several cones.

I'd need to do some research on this. I do have access to HPLC as well as NMR.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 09-07-2006, 01:11 AM   #25
drost
Recipes 

Levers, what part of Iowa are you in? I just had my father in law bring me some today from southern Iowa and I don't know if they're ready to harvest yet.

I found this link about harvesting:

http://www.realbeer.com/library/auth...-a/hgrown3.php

Old 09-07-2006, 03:15 AM   #26
Levers101
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biermann
Hmm. . .I bet I could figure out the AA content by crushing this stuff up and solublizing it in an acetone bath, and then running it through a high pressure liquid chromatography machine. (my previous life as a chemist is coming out). You'd get several spikes on the graph. . . .as long as you knew where to expect the AA's to show up. . .I think you could figure it out. All you'd need is several cones.

I'd need to do some research on this. I do have access to HPLC as well as NMR.
Yeah, I go to school in the discipline of/work in a environmental engineering & science laboratory, so I have access to several different HPLC's. However, I'm guessing that you need the right kind of column for alpha acids as opposed to the columns for chlorinated solvents that are installed on the equipment that is in the lab I work in. Plus your mobile phase for analysis has to be compatible with your column, ect ect. Finally, you have to justify to the lab director that you want to do HPLC analysis on some wild hops for personal use as opposed to research which brings in funding... Although, my advisor used to brew beer with her husband before they had kids... and she does say that some of the best research sometimes comes from those things that you try on an off chance and that students are often too hesitant to try those far out possibilities. Lol...Hops for cleaning up the environment... umm...yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drost
Levers, what part of Iowa are you in? I just had my father in law bring me some today from southern Iowa and I don't know if they're ready to harvest yet.
I live in Iowa City and near there is where I got the wild hops. I agree, they may have been borderline, BUT... I was reading (after I had harvested these) that you're supposed to harvest right when a very few hops have started to turn brown on the tips of the cones, and that is where these were at so I'm going to say that I was right around the correct timing but maybe just a smidge early. They were papery to a good extent and definately had yellow lupulin glands in them.

From what I picked, which was 10 oz, I got a yield of 1.8 oz dried. Seems like a huge difference, which perhaps points to their immaturity... I don't know.

Bottled/Drinking #12: 6 Hop Variety American Pale Ale
Bottled/Drinking #13: Dry stout kit
Bottled/Drinking #14: Bavarian Wheat
Bottled/Drinking #15: Iron Red Ale

On Deck
:

Bull Sprig Brewery

Old 09-07-2006, 03:21 AM   #27
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levers101
Yeah, I go to school in the discipline of/work in a environmental engineering & science laboratory, so I have access to several different HPLC's. However, I'm guessing that you need the right kind of column for alpha acids as opposed to the columns for chlorinated solvents that are installed on the equipment that is in the lab I work in. Plus your mobile phase for analysis has to be compatible with your column, ect ect. Finally, you have to justify to the lab director that you want to do HPLC analysis on some wild hops for personal use as opposed to research which brings in funding... Although, my advisor used to brew beer with her husband before they had kids... and she does say that some of the best research sometimes comes from those things that you try on an off chance and that students are often too hesitant to try those far out possibilities. Lol...Hops for cleaning up the environment... umm...yeah!
Its been a LONNNNNG time since I've done any kind of liquid phase chromatography. However, I have access to such machines in a research lab at my old college, and my former director (whom I'm good friends with) seems interested in the brewing thing. . .she's even offered to start a chemistry department sponsored minimester on the chemistry of brewing, and has asked me to be a guest lecturer. I may have found my calling. . . .

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 09-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #28
Exo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnef
also, a drink made entirely from fermented corn is chicha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicha
Not to be confused with "Chucha"!
Wasp Bitten IPA (a Walker-San clone);Cheesefood's Caramel Creme; Wee Heavy Scottish Ale;
Bottled/Conditioning:
Flyin' Hornet Pale Ale(Mirror Pond clone);Oktoberfest Ale
Drinking:
Boom-Boom Apricot Hefeweisen; Forbidden Ale;Pale-Ass Ale (SNPA Clone); Ol' Man Winter Ale
On-deck:
Dead Guy clone
Planning:
Walker's Espresso Stout; BrewPastor's Bastard Lager
Quote:
But honey, how else am I going to get enough bottles for my next batch? *burp*...*fart*

Old 09-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #29
EricK The Red

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo
The male ones are bitter. The female ones are bitchy.

Hahahahahah...

Old 07-16-2008, 11:08 PM   #30
sothernpisces
Recipes 

Talking about luck! Congrats on the find. Wet hop brewing works, but it gives the brew a "green" flavor, like the taste of the brew from the tiny little Siletz Brewing Co. in Siletz, OR.
Some people like it, others don't. I like some of it just fine.

Quick Reply