Wierd oval bubbles on top of my beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
I checked on my porter last night and when I opened the lid (ghasp) on top only on the right side of the beer was these strange oval bubbles. I have never had an infection before and I don't want to start now. The beer smelled amazing was definetly not infected. I was thinking maybe it was the yeast working... but when I checked it last week it was fine no strange bubbles on top. I will post a picture when I get home I am at work now.

also, the rubber circle thing that holds the airlock in on my lid fell into my beer when I was done brewing that day. To fix it I got electric tape and taped around the airlock. Then once it was thick enough to stick in the whole to fit I put more electric tape around the airlock to hold it there. Could that increase chances of contaminating my beer?

also, the rubber circle thing that holds the airlock in on my lid fell into my beer when I was done brewing that day. To fix it I got electric tape and taped around the airlock. Then once it was thick enough to stick in the whole to fit I put more electric tape around the airlock to hold it there. Could that increase chances of contaminating my beer?

Anything that is unsanitized has a chance of contaminating your beer. There's no way you sanitized tape. I can't see how that would be possible. However, the electrical tape isn't actually contacting the beer, and you should have a nice layer of CO2 between the beer and the tape, so I would guess you would be fine.

It should be okay. I really just think its co2 bubbles from the yeast but it just looks soo strange.

40530_424373157862_508247862_4631144_7439320_n.jpg

ok now It got worse after I checked it when I got home from work... Its got a little more white stuff but I think that was from when the container shook when I took the lid off a little bit of the stuff around the sides wiped off...

The APA that I brewed last Thursday looks exactly the same as your picture.

I am just trying to figure out how your bubbles defy the laws of physics and maintain oval shape?

How long has it been fermenting? That krauesen ring looks normal for a beer that's been fermenting for a few days. You don't need to check on the yeasties...they do just fine without the paparazzi treatment....if it smells like beer, I am pretty sure your good.

Leave it alone....the more you keep opening it, the more you risk actually screwing it up. My beers look all kinds of crazy in the fermenter....I see new things all the time. They all taste great.

I just thought it was strange that the week before hand there was nothing like that on top after fermentation was complete.

Is that normal for a beer to be in primary for two weeks and fermentation is complete. Then on the third week bubbles form on top??

Your beer is fine. But if you keep lifting the lid and peaking it won't be. Fermentation is often an ugly/stinky process, and perfectly normal. There's nothing wrong it's just yeast rafts/ The top of a beer is rarely perfectly clear.

Relax.

Ok im just going to relax now leave it be for another week then bottle. One month in primary is good for a porter right??

Back