LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 06:26 AM   #61
Grimsawyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
.....Now, I do it because I want to make David Hasselhoff cry.
hahahahaha!!!! Funny quote. I love it!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #62
NOVA Brewer
Recipes 

I'm pretty new at this, only been brewing for three months and am on my third batch.

I started homebrewing because I wanted a hobby that wasn't about buying and collecting stuff. I'm a huge comic book fan, so I have plenty of those around the house. I'm in grad school, so I have three bookcases full of books on European history. I like role-playing games, so I have two more bookcases devoted to those books. But all of those "hobbies" are simply getting more junk to fill up my house.

I also love to cook, which started back when I was a young, single Army officer and got tired of Burger King and spaghetti. So I went out, spent $200 on pots, pans, and stocking a pantry, spent $50 on used cookbooks, and taught myself what I needed to know. Seven years later and I can make pretty much anything that I care to eat.

I've always been a beer snob, and last year I started talking to a few homebrewers that I knew through other hobbies. It sounded interesting, so I bought my equipment, supplies, books, and joined this site.

My first successful batch, my robust porter, is awesome. I've given out several liters to friends and family, and they've all gone on and on (past the point of socially-required politeness, and often unsolicited) about how good it is. Every time I pop open a bottle (I rarely average one beer a day, so I don't brew quickly), pour it into a glass, and take the first sip I know this is something that I made. Yeah, I'm an extract brewer, but still - this is handcrafted brew that I spent time and effort into making for myself and my friends. Do I still like getting a good pint of Guinness over at the Auld Shebeen? Sure. Do I still like buying a sixer of Trader Joe's Bohemian Hefeweizen? Of course. But just because I make an amazing pan-seared salmon filet in a balsamic glaze with citrus green beans doesn't mean I've stopped going out to dinner.

Bottled: Pumpkin Ale, Ed's Apfelwein IV
Kegged: Irish Stout, Northwest Pale Ale II
Thinking about: Rye Ale, Russian Imperial Stout
Gone: Robust Irish Porter, Ed's Apfelwein I, Ed's Apfelwein II, Northwest Pale Ale, Ed's Apfelwein III, English Brown Ale, Blanche de Chambly clone

Old 04-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #63
jarrid
Recipes 

well, like everybody else here, I brew 'cause I'm a fierce DIY'er. I am constantly allured by the prospect of being able to create something fine and unique, something that would be considered a rare expensive luxury if you were to just go out and buy it. I believe that a rich person can go out and get nice things whenever they want, but a regular person can have extraordinary things in his life (like GREAT BEER) with a little craftsmanship, creativity and dedication.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #64
Hopleaf

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I like it when people's eye widen and they go 'Wow you made this?!'

It's scientific and detailed enough to keep me interested but it's also a bit of an art form so I like that.

Plus it's the ultimate form of beer snobbery

* Kolsch
* Apfelwein batch #lots

Old 04-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #65
zythos
Recipes 

I just started brewing beer. I've actually been thinking about it for over a year now. When I was younger I would drink the BMC with friends, but I always found them to be quite disgusting. For a long time I though I didn't like beer, then I found my first microbrew. It was actualy a wheat beer, it was light, refreshing, and delicious. Now I love beer, IPA's are among my favorites, which is why I chose an IPA as my first brew. What got me into brewing is actually a combination of a few things. First and foremost, it's my love for beer! I enjoy the many different flavors of beer. It's amazing the variety that's out there, the BMC drinkers are truly missing out on some amazing stuff. I also owe a bit of thanks to the Mr. Beer ads because they really got me into researching the hobby seriously. I always imagined brewing beer to be sort of beyond my abilities, and saw it as mysterious. The Mr. Beer made it look quite easy and attainable. I looked into buying one and after doing some searching, I discovered that there were better options available. One final reason that got me brewing was a friend of mine that shares a similar love for good brews as I do. I had been talking about it for quite a while and he has been giving me a much needed hand through the entire process. Anyway, that's why I'm trying my hand at brewing. I'm hoping my beers come out as good and mayber even better than some of the micros that I love.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #66
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Why do I brew beer? I't a combination of things actually. I never have enjoyed coors bud etc... (michelobe was the only domestic brand i could even sort of stand). I had always known about "other" styles of beer but never tried them. Growing up my folks always had an abundance of Raineer Light or Old Milwauke Light, or some other light crappy beer. I had tried them growing up and never liked them. Then at one party my folks threw one of my "uncles"(you know, family friends...) brought over some micro brews and handed them out to a few people. Only a few people liked them. Curiosity got me. I asked my folks if I could try one. They gave me a small sip thinking I wouldn't like it. Still to this day I can't remember what it was. It was thick, black and tasted of licorice with a hoppy flavor. That I remember. After that, at age 13, I knew there was more to beer than the hell my folks enjoyed. A few years after that my folks went on vacation. My little brother was sent to our grandfolk's and they let me stay home. My father, thinking that I liked beer(well, he was right, just not HIS) counted his CANS of beer and told me he knew how many there were. Being the smart ass I am I told him a very soul felt and true joke, my first one of that nature too, mind you, to him. I said, "Dad. Your beer is safe." He asked, "Oh yeah. Why?" I replied, "Your beer is like sex in a canoe." At this point he was confused. I explained, "It's F'ing close to water!" We all got a good chuckle out of that one but remembering back to that one little taste of heaven I had a few years back in compairison to his crappy on sale budget beer HELL I, in my mind, was correct. Six years later at the age of 21 I went to many bars, as people of that age tend to do, in search of that beer. Still to this day I havn't found anything close to it yet. But what I did find is a sea of wonderful beers of all colors and intensities. I had popped into a few homebrew shops but never committed to buying a kit. Fast forwarding 9 years... Last year about february my buddy calls me up and says, "DUDE!!! I JUST BOUGHT A STARTER KIT FOR BREWING BEER!!! LETS BREW SOME BEER TONIGHT MAN!!!!" We read through the instructions and discovered we needed large kettle, funnell, big ass spoon and a few other things that elude me right now. I went out and picked them up right there. That night we brewed our first batch of beer. So many things we did wrong. We dumped the dry yeast on top of the wort in the carboy. We dry hopped in the primary. We also diddn't put on a blowoff tube, we put the airlock on. Diddn't measure well either on the water line in the 5 gallon carboy. The next day we had a mess, figured out what the blowoff tube was, discovered why you don't dry hop in the primary fermenter and had one hell of a mess to clean up. Ever since that phone call I knew that was what I enjoyed doing. Dreaming up beer recepies. Building equipment(Which involved cutting the top of a keg off with a DREMMELL!!! HAHAH!!! only took 5 hours!) and thinking about beer and everything it entails more than drinking it. I never have to drink crappy store bought light commercial hell brew ever! I can make what I think I want. I have found since I started brewing it myself that I actually enjoy it MUCH more. And when I take it down to share with family I can tell my dad, and he still chuckles when I make this reference, that this beer isn't that outdoorsie! That's right, it isn't even close to sex in a canoe!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 04-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #67
runhard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Why? Wish I knew.

Previous posts cover just about everything. Why? The history, the technical, the science, the artistry. Heck, I wish I knew.

Most of my beers are good, a few have been great, and a few have been flops but I continue to learn along the way. I learn how the chemistry of my water affects the end product, different grains, how the mash influences so many attributes of the beer, how different hops that are so closely related can truly add a different profile and then there are all the different yeast strains. There are so many variables to brewing and I had no idea until I met a few homebrewers and I could tell how excited they were to talk about brewing and better yet teach the hobby.

What I like most about it though is how just about anyone can do it with the simplest of equipment up to the most refined homebreweries which some here have designed and built and then we can sit around with friends and family and enjoy and take pride in something we've made.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:33 AM   #68
JeanLucD
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not too long ago, I had a some Calvados, which along with me being 1/2 French and loving science (especially biology and chemistry - since that's what I'm doing at university (college) at the momment) and cooking had me envisioning myself growing some apple trees, and making cider from these apples, to be distilled into mighty Calvados. I could already taste the homemade Calvados... then reality hit me - apple trees take a good few years to grow and I couldn't wait that long, so I thought to myself: Why don't I just start off with some cider, and see where that takes me? First off, I had to actually find out what cider tasted like , so I went to the supermarket with mum and bought some cider, and man was it good, appley champagne is what first came to mind, this was indeed something worth brewing. Now I had to convince mum, she wasn't so fussed about me using up half of the hotwater cupboard with my fermentor and equipment, but she finally agreed, on one condition: I had to brew her some beer. Aren't I glad she said that, because before that I didn't really enjoy beer at all, I found it much too bitter (I had, and still do have a very sweet tooth), but since brewing some beer myself, I've actively gone out and tried different beers, to develop my palate, and now I love beer.

Thats how I got started, but I keep brewing because I think it tastes better than most of that bland tasting commercial stuff, and it's cheaper than microbrews. Not just that but here in New Zealand, there are no laws concerning homebrewing, so I am legally allowed to brew beer (at the age of 17), despite the legal drinking age of 18. Its win win win.

Hopefully it's not too long before I start distilling - yeah, its actually legal in New Zealand , but I think I'll always have beer going and one day maybe I'll have brewed large enough variety of things to be able to make homebrew cocktails. Ah, one day.

Secondary #1:My wash for distilling, yum yum.

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottled:my Belgian-like Wit, Mac's Lager (nz kit), James Squire Amber Ale clone, Cheesefood's Vanilla Caramel Cream Ale, Munton's wheat and possibly some of my cider hidden somewhere - it seems to pop up somtimes, lol I guess I should have labelled them.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:48 AM   #69
Bosh
Recipes 

Well if I could buy six packs of decent beer for $8-9 I wouldn't bother homebrewing. But in Korea even **** like Corona costs $2 a bottle in a store and a small can (not the pint ones) of guiness costs $4 Just can't afford to buy decent beer on a regular basis...

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Old 04-16-2007, 12:18 PM   #70
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Why do I brew. Hrmm, in a nutshell...

...Because I can.

I consider it an extension of my artistic side. In fact, I find it the most intriguing thing you can do with food/beverage...period. Before I ventured into brewing, I had pretty much gotten my feet wet with with some of the more complicated food processing arts, namely dry cured sausage/salami and cheese. They are still fascinating to me, and I love to make such things, but nothing I can think of comes close to the complexity of brewing. There are just so many ways you can express yourself through brews. Most of my stuff is usually very straightforward, as I myself am this way...with the occasional off-the-wall adventure.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply