Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why You Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #41
razyrsharpe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

to me, a homebrew is superior to a commercial brew (most domestics at least) due to the fact that they tend to have more complex flavors and character. i can spend the same amt. on either. i like the brew that has some TLC behind it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #42
Indybrew
Recipes 

I brew because I'm on a quest to find the perfect brew (for my taste). I've came close, but Man, there's always that possiblity I'll hit it on the next batch, or the one after that.
I just love to brew, it's that simple.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #43
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

1. It's a very enjoyable hobby.

2. I get to drink the results.

3. To answer your question about homebrew vs. commerial beer, now that it something I was very skeptical about in the beginning but was very pleasantly surprised about once I started tasting my work. I always thought homebrew would be thick, hazy, dark stuff that tasted good but was nothing like the clear, crisp commercial stuff.

I was very happy to find that the very first batch I made was pretty darn good and by my second batch it was better than anything I could buy in the store.

Old 04-06-2007, 03:11 AM   #44
LS_Grimmy

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I brew because I love beer and wanted to learn how to make it... After that I really enjoyed playing with the recipes (of course with AG now). Oh ya I like to drink it too

My Web Site:
www.grimmysbeer.com

Old 04-06-2007, 03:58 AM   #45
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Besides all the reasons listed above, I do it because I feel like I'm stickin it to The Man. No seriously. I grew up in Utah, where anything fun and was considered to be Very Bad For You (fellow Utah brewers will know what I'm talking about). It took about six trips to the homebrew store before I got over the feeling of the teenager caught in the backroom of the video store. I still feel like I'm getting away with making my own beer, even though I know it's perfectly legal.

Maybe I have issues.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 04-06-2007, 04:40 AM   #46
cormi3r
Recipes 

I really enjoy preparing and cooking a special meal. I get a sense of satisfaction knowing I used fresh wholesome ingredients and took the time to prepare something I enjoy and something I can share. I really like the nuances of the meal I prepared (adding an extra sprig of thyme or browning the butter to add a nutty character, adding my own unique style) and the care and thought that was required for the preparation of that meal, including the planning, the shopping and timing. Taking that enjoyment and applying it to another cooking technique that also incorporates an aging process and biological (living) aspect was very intriguing to me. So I began to read and learn and appreciate the art of brewing. Much like cooking, there are techniques and scientific relationships that need to be taken into consideration plus creativity. Also much like cooking you can go from something as simple as a frozen pizza to a gourmet meal. The options in what you are capable of are limited only by your imagination and/or interests plus your experience. There is a sense of pride that is met when someone enjoys something I have created. I can see a lot of challenges in brewing that I'd love to master while I gain an understanding of the process and push my creativity.

Couple all of the previously mentioned satisfying aspects of brewing beer with the historical significance of the art (touched on by couple people in this thread) and it seems somewhat important to be involved in a tradition that has existed for so long.

I am looking forward to the day I get to sit outside and embrace something as simple as a sunny day and a beer I made from a handful of ingredients not unlike someone did hundreds of years ago or will likely do hundreds of years from now.

Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Primary: Apfelwein (EdWort's recipe)
Secondary: ~~ empty ~~
On Deck: Chocolate Cherry Stout or Irish Red
Bottled (conditioning):~~ nothing ~~
Bottled (drinking): Honey Brown Ale, Boddington's Clone (Pub Ale), Watermelon Ale
Planning: Palace Bitter
Consumed: Hefeweizen, Cheesy's Caramel Cream Ale

Last edited by cormi3r; 04-06-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:55 AM   #47
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Do you fear your neighbors finding out about your nasty habit?
Do you look over your shoulder while brewing half expecting flashing blue and red lights?
Do you feel shame that your family might find out?

Join UBU (United Brewers of Utah) and learn to feel good about your brewing self again.

Or Move to Sunny Nova Scotia! Home to Sunnyvale trailer park and low brow law enforcement.
Nova Scotia, where a "turning a blind eye" is a way of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwinofjoni
Besides all the reasons listed above, I do it because I feel like I'm stickin it to The Man. No seriously. I grew up in Utah, where anything fun and was considered to be Very Bad For You (fellow Utah brewers will know what I'm talking about). It took about six trips to the homebrew store before I got over the feeling of the teenager caught in the backroom of the video store. I still feel like I'm getting away with making my own beer, even though I know it's perfectly legal.

Maybe I have issues.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 04-06-2007 at 06:58 AM.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #48
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default I Love HBing

I brew because I always liked trying different beers. Before brewing I used to go out looking for different beers at the local stores. After awhile it was unthinkable to buy BMC. Not because I saw them as bad, I think they are just plain. I will say it also pained me to pay $8-10 for a good sixer. I did this for a long time...

One year for xmas I got a HB kit and never looked back. I like the planning, the shopping, brewing, gadgets, watching the air lock bubble..., even bottling and of course drinking. Sharing has its great rewards too. The memory of my first tastey homebrew is priceless.

To the original question, not all of my stuff is great, that's part of the learning experience. Some batches aren't what you thought or wanted and some not so good due to mistakes. Most of what I have made have been good & very satisfying.

Also if SWMBO goes out of town for the weekend she knows what I'll be doing. No worries to speak of there.

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 04-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #49
razyrsharpe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsellout
Brewing gives me time to myself, it lets me express myself because I think of it as an artform, and it gets my wife so I get lucky more often

Dan
LOL, best reason yet!!

Old 04-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #50
KopyKat

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started brewing as a hobby and went to all grain after my second batch. I now also brew for taste. I like my beers better than commercial beers.

Most of my regular brews are American ales, IPA's and English bitters. For these I use dry yeasts and and a 5 gallon batch cost me around $20.00 - $25.00. Not a bad price either. I do love to brew different recipes for the challenge though and use what is best for the recipe.

Most important is that I enjoy the process. One of my favorite days is brew day. I love getting up early, starting the water heating in the kettle while I get the rest of my stuff together.

Part of the enjoyment is also the social aspect. I am a member of an excellent brew club. Around 30 of us meet once a month and sample each other's beers. It is a lot of fun and I get to sample some great beers, several which are recipes I got after the tasting and now brew myself. (after all - I am KopyKat!)

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Quick Reply