Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why You Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #11
tbulger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first two extract bathces were good, missing a little something, but still good, my third brew a porter must have just hit its peak and tastes absolutly delicious, just as good as the fullers porter i had at the bar the other night. It takes time, like everyone will say, to let the beer age and it will be delicious. MY roomate was drinking them last night and said the porter was one of his favorite beers and he would definlty dish out the money to buy it if it were in a store. If you do side by side comparisons to the closest beer to style you wont find much difference. I also spend way more time brewing than i do drinking so its more to me than just the taste.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #12
shbrewer
Recipes 

I do it to keep the flying monkeys away.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love to brew. I love to brew as almost as much as I love to drink beer.

Brewing is my time. No kids....no work....no wife...... Just me, some grains and hops, and 4-5 hours to myself.

Plus having a small party with a keg or two has become a joy also. Just sitting back and enjoying the compliments while sipping a killer brew is where its at for me.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #14
krispy d
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

because no matter what I can!

Old Burnside Ten Penny Ale
Primary
Westbrook Porter
Secondary

Empty
Up Next
A big IPA ??

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
-Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #15
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was spending a good chunk of change on commercial beer. I thought, hm, if I make beer it'd be cheaper, and hey, I like to cook. I talked to some of the guys in the local homebrew club at a beer festival last year, and that pushed me further into thinking it would be doable.

Six months later, I think I've spent more money on making beer that I would have in more than a few years of buying beer just due to all the gadgets I've accumulated and the building of a kegerator. But hey, I don't care. It's fun to do, and besides that it gives me something to do other than sit on my ass. Plus I get to drink beer that is produced no other place in the world, and is usually better than the commercial stuff I like

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 04-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #16
mmmforbiddendonut
Recipes 

My beer tastes better than yours. I don't care if I've only brewed 3 batches. Mine is better. You could have the nectar of the gods, and in my happy little head, I love my own beer. That's why I brew.

Oh yeah, cheaper, and better than any domestic, and someday I'd like to turn this into a living.

- mmm forbidden donut

Primary: Empty! Ohno!
Secondary: #4 ESB
Waiting on Bottles: Nothing!
Drinking: #2 Woopsy Makes Everything All Right Sweet Stout, #3 Hefeweizen
On Deck: #5 NB 1554 Clone, #6 American Style Wheat

Old 04-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

It's a fun hobby & I would match my best efforts against the pros. Living in the Pacific North West, it lets me enjoy beers that don't have TOO F%$^ MUCH CASCADES in them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-04-2007, 02:59 PM   #18
Whelk
Recipes 

Yeah, I love pretty much every aspect of homebrewing. It's not that the quality is better (though it is), or even that I get that many compliments (though I get plenty). It's fun as hell, and I love seeing my own creation turn from some vaguely nasty soup into magical delicious beer!

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #19
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 253 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
It's a fun hobby & I would match my best efforts against the pros. Living in the Pacific North West, it lets me enjoy beers that don't have TOO F%$^ MUCH CASCADES in them.
LOL! Great Reason!

I brew because my mother-in-law knew I loved beer and she bought me a great book (Check out my Book Review of Making Beer by William Mares) and it created a monster. It was a great hobby before I moved to Germany for 5 years. I then went from Beer Heaven to Beer Hell when I moved from Germany to Utah. Home Brewing became a fact of life there.

Moving to All Grain was a life changing experience as the beers I make (like other folks here) are as good if not better than what can be purchased in the store (and I'm not talking BMC here).

Nothing beats the self satisfaction of pulling the tap on a self created brew and bringing the glass to your lips. Ahhhhhh.

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 04-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
Willsellout

Recipes 

Brewing gives me time to myself, it lets me express myself because I think of it as an artform, and it gets my wife so I get lucky more often

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Quick Reply