Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why You Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
San Jose State University
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why You Brew

I'm a beginner to say the least, but I have a high interest and I feel I'm learning quickly.

However, I have one important question: How does the beer that you homebrew compare to the premium commercial beers available?

To be clear, I want to know what you really think, from a 3rd person perspective, how good the beer is. What's "good"? Purely opinion. If you bought your own homebrew in a supermarket, how would you compare it to other premium brews?

I want to know this because I want to know what to exect from my brew once I gain more experience, skill, and intuition. Of course not everybody is the same, but I'd hope that I could eventually make beer that tastes better than premium commercial beers according to MY tastes.

I want to imagine a beer flavor and brew something that's mighty close to it.

That's my goal... I just want to know how practical it is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

This topic comes around every now and then. My first response was that I wanted to follow in the footsteps of my bootlegging grandma. Now, I do it because I want to make David Hasselhoff cry.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do it to support my habit, and because I brew excellent beer that is as good if not better then most commercial breweries.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4942 Times on 3579 Posts
Likes Given: 996

I started just to see if I could brew something good- and now my husband complains about commercial beer! I can make what I like- IPAs are my favorite, and some are close to the original, or I like better than the original (like my DG clone, and DFH) and some are nothing like any commercial beer. I've made some things that you'd never find in a store but that we just love.

I've made everything from rhubarb wine (excellent, by the way) to maibock. Nothing was terrible except maybe tomato wine and I'm reserving judgement on that.

I would put my DFH clone up against the original any day, and my husband and I like it better. But, it does have chill haze. Doesn't bother me enough to cold condition it, so I'm drinking it. My Dead Guy clone got great reviews in the beer swap: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23405

I'm kind of a perfectionist, and I wouldn't do it if my beer and wine were just "ok". I like homebrew better and that's why I do it.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-04-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Fire_travels

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I do it to support my habit
same here, and its no easy to find good beers here where I live in PA. By chance if you do it on avreage 9.50 a 6 pack!

1 gal. Primary = 2 gallons of Blueberry wine with a hint of honey

kegged = Three Hearted IPA

Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Taste/flavor - just like my burgers off the grill compared to McDonalds. Course there are plenty of restruants that make great steaks and burgers but mine rock and I can make them any way I want. Medimum rare that is actually medium rare!

Because I can - I like to do things for myself...build my own stuff, change my own oil and cut my own dam grass.

...and lastly making and drinking beer is fun

Old 04-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
DraconianHand
nudge, nudge, wink, wink
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brew because I know it takes much more than great homebrew to make a great homebrewer. A world-class homebrewer thrives on innovation, and has an adventurous spirit that is never reluctant to experiment with new ways of brewing -- and stuff. Such a spirit is a big part of the homebrewings culture.

Homebrewing conjures up an image of cool mountain streams, clear blue skies and all that is inspiring about your kitchen, deck or patio. It is a pastime associated with an uncomprimising commitment to quality--a reputation that began before 6:45 yesterday morning and thrives to this day.

This is why I brew.

Ferminatin' - Route 666 Pale Ale

Figurin' to do - Oatmeal Stout, Gueuze, Belgian Blonde, Mild, English Pale Ale, Weizenbock

Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
poguemahone

Recipes 

I started again because I really needed a hobby. The dollar to homebrew ratio isn't that important to me since in the 3 months since I grabbed my old carboy out of storage I've already spent more dough than I would in a year of drinking (ok, make that half a year).
The process is interesting and I learn something new each time I make a batch.
My brews haven't been stellar, yet, but all have been very tasty.

Conditioning Keg 2:
Conditioning Keg 3:
Kegerator Tap 1: Dry Stout
Kegerator Tap 2: Six Malt Amber Ale
Kegerator Tap 2: Optimator Lager
Just Finished: Dry Stout

Old 04-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There's no quick answer to this question. Why homebrew?

Well, for one, it's cheaper---even for me, and I work at a fine wine/beer shop and get pretty much any beer out there for 5% over wholesale. I started brewing last July. At first, it was all I could do to not drink all of it quickly. But over the course of 6 months, I brewed 120 gallons of beer. Now I have stacks of cases taller than I am, and can't drink it fast enough. I rarely buy commercial anymore, and while the initial investment in the ingredients and equipment cost me, it's made up for it now.

But even if it cost more, I'd brew anyway. My brews might not always turn out better than commercial breweries (I've only been brewing for 9 months or so), but some do. My chocolate-coffee stout, for example, kicks the nuts off of any commercial coffee stout I've ever tasted. Some of my brews have turned out mediocre, some have turned out hideous/infected. But for the most part, they rock.

But above all else, it's about making stuff myself. I remember the first sip from the first bottle of my first brew. There was something life-altering in that moment---I was an artisan, a craftsman. I made a basil beer, with basil from my own garden, and my extended family all wanted to place orders. This was really something I could get addicted to. And I did. Now I love to brew just for its own sake. I have, probably, 20 cases of homebrew backstock, but I still wake up at 4:45am on a Saturday and stand in the dark, freezing cold on my patio waiting for the strike temp, pounding The Hold Steady for all my neighborhood.

And there's also that little part about sharing it with friends and family...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brew because I lived in Europe and learned what real beer is supposed to taste like.

To brew the beers I liked best. I am actually saving money and producing a healty product that is enjoyable to drink.

Quick Reply