The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > why wont this one clear?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
keelysnow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default why wont this one clear?

so i have this batch of pale ale beer (5 gallons) and this isnt clearing, i waited for fermentation to stop and added super kleer, it has cleared some but not all the way. my sparge runoff was not very clear causing cloudy wort and i wonder if this is the issue. i also havent cooled this batch yet. i have had very successful batches in the past and this is the only notable differences between them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

I've had troubles with this when I was using a mini food processor to crush my grains. Too much of the fine floury stuff I think led to excessive dissolved proteins & thus haze. Chilling only made it worse & it didn't settle. I finally got a Barley Crusher grain mill,crushed'em at the factory .039" setting,& that def helped. I also started using Fivestar Super Moss in the boil. That helped even more. Clear or very nearly so. Usually very clear at this point.
Chilling the wort to pitch temp in 20 minutes or less also helps.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
NickTheGreat
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Are you me? I have a pale ale whose wort was not running clear. And it still pretty cloudy in the carboy.

I'm going to try to cold crash or something, but not too optimistic, now

Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 323

I BIAB so I get a ton of flour into the boil and my beer sparkles. What yeast? Do you use any kettle finings? How's your hot/cold break? I've found that gelatin clears up even the most stubborn hazes.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
keelysnow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
I BIAB so I get a ton of flour into the boil and my beer sparkles. What yeast? Do you use any kettle finings? How's your hot/cold break? I've found that gelatin clears up even the most stubborn hazes.
i used us safale - 05 i usually add irish moss but i did not this time i had none on hand and didnt think it would make much of a difference, but i guess it has.
i bottled this afternoon and primed with sugar, hopefully it will clear in 2 weeks, if not oh well its not a biggy, ill try to look for better milled grain(i dont mill my own) and be sure to use the moss. i havent tried gelatin but ill be sure to give it a go next time around, thanks to everyone that posted it has been a big help!

Old 07-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you not want to tell us all of the info do we may make an informed decision? Recipe? Temps? How long in primary?

Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 701 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 217

I made a batch of pale ale using Galena hops for the dry hopping. It never cleared and I blamed the hops as other batches with the same recipe except for different hops cleared just fine.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
keelysnow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlaramie08
Do you not want to tell us all of the info do we may make an informed decision? Recipe? Temps? How long in primary?
Well I'll be glad to tell you! Just asking would have been nice. So the temps are the original , mash 155-152f for sixty minutes, then after drainage I gave it a 3 gallon sparge bath of water at 175f it was then boiled for 60 minutes, hops were added at 60-one oz,30-1/2 oz,15-1/4 oz, and 5 minutes 1/4 oz all German hollertau 3.2% then I strained the boil with a nylon grain bag, I did not use a grain bag for the mash, I did want the beta and alpha-gluconase and proteins to be left behind, I felt it would leave behind an off taste and a cloudy effect. It had a very rapid fermentation, it started at 1070 and hit my target gravity in 4 days which was 1011 I transferred from a brew bucket to a 5 gal carboy to clear one Day it cleared almost completely the second day there was no noticeable increase in residue in the bottom from yesterday's residue, I take pictures to watch the difference in the increase of residue. I bottled that day with priming sugar and the bottles have less than a millimeter of residue, very little, the grain bill was 8 lb pale 2 row 2lb light crystal 1/2 lb vienne.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #9
keelysnow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN
I made a batch of pale ale using Galena hops for the dry hopping. It never cleared and I blamed the hops as other batches with the same recipe except for different hops cleared just fine.
Thanks for the info, I don't tend to like dry hopped beers, they have wonderful aroma don't get me wrong but I don't care for the grassy bite so I tend to stay away from thoughs brews.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1296

If your dry hop tastes grassy it's usualy because you've dry hoped too long.

Quick Reply