New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why are Stone beers so expensive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
BakRivrBruen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Why are Stone beers so expensive?

I first want to say that I'm not trying to bash Stone in anyway. I really do enjoy their beers but I just don't understand the pricing. I mean they are good but come on. My buddy and I went to a local craft beer store yesterday and he picked up a six of Ruination. $19.99. WTF!!??! I almost shat myself! I know beers are more expensive in specialty shops but still. The cheapest I've ever seen ruination is like 15 or 16 bucks for a sixxer. How can a 7.7% beer that just uses 2-row, some crystal, magnum and centennial cost so much. I was thinking maybe its because I'm on the east coast but I don't pay anywhere close to that for any of Sierra Nevada's stuff. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
CrystalShip
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

did he piece a bunch of singles together to form a sixer? I wanna say that my local beer store sells the stuff for about 10-12 bucks a sixer.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Waynep005
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I would say because peole are willing to pay that much for it. They have a name that many "beer snobs" are willing to spend almost anything for right now. In a few years they will not be one of the hot breweries and the price will come down.

"Stupid Should Hurt"

Old 09-01-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Negotiate prices,F that. Act like it was used.Tell em 15 and youll buy it.Unless its ultrafresh I wouldnt. And point that out also to who the clueless person selling that to you.
If that doesnt work I would just buy a bomber and uless you really think they are worth that much then just buy a sixer ocassionally and ?? eat less,drive less,and whatnot. Eat out one less time? You know. There are things worth sacrificing to budget if needed otherwise maybe try to brew it. Good luck. I spent about $100 worth of beer this weekend,I kind of feel like a dick for some reason.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
BakRivrBruen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalShip View Post
did he piece a bunch of singles together to form a sixer? I wanna say that my local beer store sells the stuff for about 10-12 bucks a sixer.
Nope, pulled it off the self as a sixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmohno View Post
Negotiate prices,F that. Act like it was used.Tell em 15 and youll buy it.Unless its ultrafresh I wouldnt. And point that out also to who the clueless person selling that to you.
The person selling it was the owner. When my buddy asked why so expensive they said "that's barely more than what my distributor charges so I'm not making anything off the sale price at $19.99." Yeah.. right. But my buddy still wanted it and paid anyway. I would have put it back and told them I can brew four 12-packs of the same beer for a few bucks more than they charge for a six.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Around here a 22oz goes for about $5-6 each, love the stufff but at that price it's a once in a while beer for me.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #7
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I believe Ruination is $19.99 around here as well, and I think that's insane. I'm kind of at the point where I'm not into buying many hop forward beers. My IPAs are so good, and I'm getting 5 gallons of very fresh, draft beer for about $40 all told. That comes out to about $4.50 for a sixer if I bottled it. I love Stone, but I agree their beers are priced out of my comfort zone.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #8
allenH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1962 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 894

I wish I could get six-packs here, if someone has them, i haven't found them. All I can get are 22's. AB and IPA is 4.99 for a bomber and Ruination is 6.99 for a bomber.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #9
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Around here Ruination 6 packs are $15. I've bought bombers here and there, but I've never dropped that much on a 6er.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
WhiskeySam
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The cost of Oaked Arrogant Bastard has become beyond ridiculous. I like it, but I'm not spending 16 bucks on a six pack.

In the Keg (1) -- Stout
In the Keg (2) -- IPA

Up Next -- Marzen

Quick Reply