Why save yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cost savings. At about $7 for liquid. yeast can make up a pretty big percentage of the cost of a batch.

what is the reason for saving your yeast and using it over and over?

I think it's pretty obvious: you don't have to buy it again. Even if you only re-use your yeast once...you just cut the cost of your yeast by 50%. And at $7.00 per pack some places for liquid yeast, that adds up fast. The only caveat is that you need to re-use yeast carefully to avoid infection. But, if you're careful it's really no big deal.

makes since....what is the reason to use liquid vs dry yeast?

There are a lot more strains of liquid yeast available compared with dry yeast. That's really the only reason I have for using liquid over dry, especially due to the cost difference!

There are a lot more strains of liquid yeast available compared with dry yeast. That's really the only reason I have for using liquid over dry, especially due to the cost difference!

+1 on that. If I'm making a stout or an APA or something, dry works great. But if you want to make something that takes a specific straing, like my Saison I brewed this summer, gotta have the yeast for it and they only have it in liquid form.

Then there's pacman. That's good for all kinds of stuff!

While cost savings is a plus you are also growing larger quantities of very vigorous yeast. Expect stronger and more attenuated fermentation, which is a good thing IMO.

Well with a little bit of planning, saving liquid yeasts can allow you to own a little 'yeast bank' in your own fridge for nearly nothing. Although it is cheap, I keep Chico yeast in my fridge at all time, I also have the california lager strain.

Bernie Brewer has a great thread on washing and storing yeast, I think it's a sticky thread in the yeast subforum.

+ 1 on the reasons mentioned above to reuse yeast. Another reason might be that it adds another level of "home-made" or "craft" to our brewing.

+1 on that. If I'm making a stout or an APA or something, dry works great. But if you want to make something that takes a specific straing, like my Saison I brewed this summer, gotta have the yeast for it and they only have it in liquid form.

Then there's pacman. That's good for all kinds of stuff!

My 2nd generation pacman is doing great :D

While cost savings is a plus you are also growing larger quantities of very vigorous yeast. Expect stronger and more attenuated fermentation, which is a good thing IMO.

I'm a little disappointed that this didn't get mentioned until the 7th reply! Typically, the 3rd and 4 generations are GREAT. Amazing attenuation and fermentation from them. In theory, you shouldn't use beyond the 6th or so generation, I think because of mutation. There is a Brew Strong episode about yeast washing/rinsing that has tons of information.

My liquid pacman yeast was about $6, but also came with 22 ounces of Dead Guy Ale on top of it.

Latest posts

Back