Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why is my beer doing this!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
fimpster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why is my beer doing this!?!

So my wheat beer has been in primary for about 13 days and I finally got around to racking to secondary. When I took a reading it was at 1.014 so I figured it was finished or very close to finishing. I just thought I’d take it off the yeast and give it a week or so to clear up a bit before bottling. Well now it’s been in the secondary for two days and has really started to bubble again. In fact the foam has come up through the airlock three times now!! What could cause that? I’m taking another reading tonight to see how much more it’s been working but I’m afraid that something (bacteria?) got in there and contaminated it to make it ferment again. What do you think? Is that possible? Am I looking at a ruined batch?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Don't worry. You just stirred up some sleepy yeast.

Let it go for another 2 weeks or so...1.014 is too high for a weizen unless you like it really sweet.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Don't worry. My Beglian Wit is 72 hours and just beginning to blow off the stopper. Your beer will be fine. It just has a life of its own.

Did you rack off a lot of yeast sediment or perhaps stir up the beer as you transferred? THis would agitate the yeast and cause fermentation to pick up some.

I say, sit back and let the yeasties take their course. Your beer will be fine. IF you are concerened, give it a week and rerack to another fermenter for what is called a tertiary (third) fermenting. A wheat beer doesn't need it though.

When your gravity readings are static several days in a row, bottle it, keg it, drink it...

Old 03-13-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
fimpster
Recipes 

I don't think i racked off too much sediment, but i have seen many beers drop a few more SG after racking because of stirring up yeast, but this is like a second high kraeusen, weird. in all of my 150+ gallons, i have never seen that before. the funny thing is that it was 1.014 for about 4 or 5 days before racking, thats why i thought it was done.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is the temp low (under 68F)? That would slow the fermentation process.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:04 AM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 563 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Yeah, at this point let your hydrometer take charge. (But don't forget to taste those hydrometer samples...)

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-13-2007, 02:05 AM   #7
fimpster
Recipes 

its right around 69-70° F

Old 03-13-2007, 02:06 AM   #8
fimpster
Recipes 

oh, i always drink the samples!