Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why to leave in primary if no air lock activity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
Knapptime
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why to leave in primary if no air lock activity

What would be the reason to leave your beer in you primary fermenter for say 2+ weeks if after a week you have no airlock activity. New to brewing and just wondering what the positive side to this would be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
IFMracin
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No airlock activity does not mean that fermentation hasn't still been taking place or is over, but if you are wondering, take a gravity reading to know for sure, and then you will know the next step(s) to take.

Also, leaving it in there allows the yeast to clean up after themselves and allows the beer time to clear as they fall out of suspension.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
lebucheron
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Beer aged in bulk conditions better than in the bottle.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yep, making sure fermentation is done and stabilized is first order of biz. Then giving yeast a day or three at room temp to clean up after themselves. Gravity reading tells you when it's time (unless the beer tastes off and you want to give it more time to clean-up...you could rack to secondary, as well in that case...or just leave in primary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Knapptime
Recipes 

Ok so I was asking because my whit has no more air lock and it has been less than a week. I took a gravity reading and it is where it should be. I tasted it and it does taste a little off ( I think I went a little hot when steeping my grains) I plan to rack to secondary an dry hop and add some more orange zest and maybe some orange pulp. I it cool if I just rack it now or should I stil wait the 2-3 days?

Old 08-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapptime View Post
Ok so I was asking because my whit has no more air lock and it has been less than a week. I took a gravity reading and it is where it should be. I tasted it and it does taste a little off ( I think I went a little hot when steeping my grains) I plan to rack to secondary an dry hop and add some more orange zest and maybe some orange pulp. I it cool if I just rack it now or should I stil wait the 2-3 days?
Should be fine to rack to secondary. Be cautious with orange pulp. Can make a nasty vomit-ey taste in beer. I'd use the zest.

Did you cool the sample down to 40 before trying? Do that when you rack it over. Cold beer is more close to the final taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
rgontasz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I always leave my beers in primary for at least 3 weeks. Since I started with 3 weeks as opposed to 1 then secondary I have seen a vast improvement! As previously mentioned, it gives the yeast time to clean up any off flavors and helps make a clearer product as well!

Old 08-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 773 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 266

When you add your orange zest, make sure you use something like vodka to sanitize it before you add it to your beer. I didn't and got some wild yeast that caused me a couple of bottle bombs.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2106 Times on 1844 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapptime View Post
Even though wits generally get done faster,no airlock activity after only a few days signifies that only initial fermentation is done. That said.a wit could well be at or near FG in 4 days or so. Just check to be sure it's at FG before racking. Maybe even give it time to settle out,as this is the same time that clean up happens.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

First off, I don't' recommend using the airlock as a sign of fermentation starting or ending. Use a hydrometer or refractometer to know what the gravity is.

The advantage in leaving your beer in the primary longer is to help it clear more if you don't use a secondary. If you are going to use a secondary, then just make sure your initial fermentation is complete (low gravity) and rack to secondary. The yeast will continue to clean up some compounds and the beer will clear more (not really applicable to a witbier).

I also second to use just the zest. Using the pulp and the white pith will probably not taste very good.

Quick Reply