Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why I'm going to start filtering most batches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
curlyfat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Why I'm going to start filtering most batches

I've had "intestinal issues" for most of my adult life. I've also been drinking homebrew most of my adult life.

My doctor suggested that it was diet related. So I started a week by week experiment.

As a child, I was lactose-intolerant. I went a week with no dairy. No luck.

I went a full week with no beer. Success ().

I went a full week with only my (unfiltered) homebrew. Bad news.

I went a full week with only commercial filtered micros. Success...OK, I can work with that.

I have filtered a couple batches for "wow" effect, but now I will be filtering almost all my beer through a 1 micron absolute filter. Hopefully, that will work out.

For the record:

Yes. I age my beer appropriately (3-4 weeks primary, sometimes shake force-carb, sometimes slow method).

No. No one else has mentioned "tummy-trouble" after drinking my beer.

2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2010, 02:33 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I'm surprised you gut bacteria didn't adapt, like how many of us get yeast farts and sometimes even the cramps and runs when we start homebrewing or drinking unfiltered/unpasturized commercial beers, but in most cases that clears up in a few months as our flori becomes accustomed to it.

Are there other yeast driven things that you have issues with (like bread) for example? Because it sounds like you may have with your intestinal issues a higher sensitivity. You might want to look at some of the other things that may affect you, and see what else overlaps...Like any other "living" foods, like yogurt, pickles, sausage...things where living cultures have an important component in the creation of it.

One thing that occured to me though is that usually the micros aren't just filtered, they are also often pasturized if you filter and still have issues, you may need also to pasturize the beer as well, to actually kill the yeast in solution.

Good luck. You are in somewhat uncharted territory. But as someone with his own GI issues (but not noticably tied to beer yeast) I can empathize.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6038 Times on 5281 Posts
Likes Given: 690

It's not just yeast...

It's oligosacchirdes....

Afterall, there ain't no yeast in chili

Old 10-18-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
curlyfat
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
It's not just yeast...

It's oligosacchirdes....

Afterall, there ain't no yeast in chili
Lol! I thought of this, but Beano helps me with chili. It didn't help with homebrew. I tried that route really trying to avoid my yeast being at fault.

I have yet to test unfiltered commercial beers (hefe-weizens and what-not), but that's my next step. I'd like to point out that I'm not pounding 10 beers a night. I usually have 2 or 3 and, on occasion, as many as 6.

Revvy, good thoughts! I don't normally consume yogurt, but sausage and bread are common in my diet (I run a pizza place...pepperoni....crust...both made with organic processes..). Pasteurization seems like a daunting undertaking, although I love trying new processes for improving my beer. I don't have any clue how to go about that at a home level.

I thought my gut would adapt, but it's been getting homebrew for over 10 years now (constant for the last 5), and the cramps/runs have been pretty consistent. Sorry for the graphic nature of that comment.

I'm going to filter a stout tomorrow (I know, weird, right?), and in a week it'll be carbonated and I will "test" the theory there as well.
2. Hefeweizen
3. BYO 15th anniversary Ale
4. Utah Fresh Pressed cider

Old 10-18-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
Monghetti
Recipes 

What type of filter do you use? I like the idea of filtering certain brews to able to add other flavors post fermentation.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 AM   #6
KCBrewer
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1383 Times on 1355 Posts
Likes Given: 21

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

I've been considering some filtering and/or pasteurizing too. My internals aren't coming around to homebrew as well either. A day or two back to bmc and all is well. It's gotten better, but I've been drinking homebrew for 6-8 months now and it still loosens things up more than I'd like.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
rsquared
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBrewer View Post
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy...g-pics-193295/

I've been considering some filtering and/or pasteurizing too. My internals aren't coming around to homebrew as well either. A day or two back to bmc and all is well. It's gotten better, but I've been drinking homebrew for 6-8 months now and it still loosens things up more than I'd like.
You beat me to it. I was wondering if that method was good for beer too though. That thread is for Cider. I have no idea what heat pasteurizing beer after carbonation will do to the flavor...

Old 10-18-2010, 05:55 AM   #8
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"Intestianl Issues" is hardly a medical diagnosis.
What does this mean?
Gas? Everybody who homebrews knows of this issue and it is hardly anything to worry about.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:46 AM   #9
nikkormat
Recipes 

dude I'm sure he knows the actual medical reason and didn't want to disclose it to the entire interwebs, just relax.

good luck to you curlyfat, let us know how your filtering goes. also, what kind of pizza place do you run? deep dish or NY?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
TheDom

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have you tried a probiotic? Supplementing the gut with beneficial bacteria to out-compete the yeast can be very helpful in cases like yours.

Quick Reply