Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > This is why I make my own beer! well, it's also fun..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
Mobstar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default This is why I make my own beer! well, it's also fun..

Beer Usually Contains One or More Chemical Additives

GUM ARABIC (acacia) is in common use by many breweries as a stabilizer to prevent any alteration on the beverage before it is sold. It also helps the foaming quality of the beer. Yet medical literature warns that "allergic reactions, liver and kidney damage may follow its use."

SODIUM HYDROSULFITE (Na2S2O4) is a white or grayish white salt of hydro-sulfurous acid which is used in industry as a "reducing and bleaching agent." But the brewer adds this potentially dangerous chemical to his beer to prevent the taste from becoming inferior and stop the deterioration of its flavor to insure a "perfect" brew.

COBALT (Co) has been used by at least two breweries to "prevent over-foaming" in three different brands of beer. Federal officials in the U.S. and Canada, as well as investigating physicians, have strongly implicated cobalt as the cause of 37 deaths and many other serious cases of "beer drinker's heart disease." In every case the heart muscles of the beer drinker slowly degenerated and finally stopped working.

TANNIC ACID (tannin), a yellowish to light brown substance, is used in tanning, dyeing and the manufacturing of ink. Taken internally it can be blamed for "arresting secretion, causing contraction of the tissues and arresting the flow of blood within the vessels." Tannic acid has been known to cause "gastric irritation" and "liver damage." Disregarding these dangers, many breweries use it to eliminate any sediment or "cloudiness" from their brands of beer.

AMMONIUM PHOSPHATE has many uses in industry - "fireproofing" fabrics, fertilizer, impregnating lamp wicks, preventing "after-glow" in matches, and as a flux for soldering tin, copper and brass. Beer companies use it to chemically "improve" or "correct" American water so that it will correspond with the water used in European brewing. (Have you ever been to Europe? DON'T drink the water!)

POTASSIUM METABISULFITE is used by brewers as "an antioxidant" to inhibit the chemical reactions taking place in the beer and prevent deterioration of the flavor. In industry this chemical is used for bleaching straw and as a source of sulfurous acid.

TARTARIC ACID (H2C4H4O6) is a colorless or translucent chemical used in photography and for silvering mirrors and coloring metals. It is occasionally used in medicine as a laxative. Some batches of beer are so cloudy and unappetizing no one would dare drink them. So, the brewer "doses" them with tartaric acid to take away the cloudiness and present "an appetizing appearance."

PAPAIN (papayotin) is a chemical additive akin to meat tenderizer, which prevents beer from "clotting." In medicine it is used as a solvent for warts and other external skin growths, but its internal use carries with it the warning that "certain individuals may exhibit severe gastrointestinal symptoms after ingestion." Yet, this chemical substance is widely used in the brewing industry.

MAGNESIUM SULFATE (MgSO4.7H2O) better known to most of us as a cathartic (or purgative) named "Epsom Salts" is the active ingredient in most of the advertised "laxative waters." Breweries rely on lots of Epsom Salts to "alter" the water they use in the brewing process, ignoring completely medical warnings which state it "can cause respiratory failure" and "renal (kidney) impairment."

DEXTRIN is a white, amorphorous powder used by brewers to insure a better head of light frothy bubbles on the surface of their beer. On the other hand, industry uses dextrin in the manufacture of matches, fireworks and explosives.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
o4_srt
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Some of the chemicals are byproducts of the brewing process, and are common, even for homebrewers. Tannic acid is extracted from the husks of the grain during the mash. Although not desirable, it is almost always present in varying amounts, depending on process.

Potassium metabisulphate is the main chemical in campden tablets, mainly used in homebrewing beer as a dechlorinator, and also used in wine making.

Dextrin is unavoidable. Dextrine are what gives beer body, and are simply unfermentable sugars. Higher mash temps=more dextrins.

You are correct in stating that the chemicals are potentially dangerous, but the poison is in the dosage, not the chemical. The doses we ingest are far below the dose required to cause harm.

Even oxygen and water will kill you in high enough amounts.

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If it has a funny name and used in something other than food, than it must be poison.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 04-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobstar View Post
(Have you ever been to Europe? DON'T drink the water!)
That's Mexico man. All major European countries I've been to had fine water

Rev.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Had actually done some research on this list you would have found out that it did indeed come from .1timothy4-13.com...which is that really freaky fundamentalist Christian Website that has been largely dismissed and ridiculed.

Their first paragraph is pretty horrofic if you ask me. (Horrofic in the sense that they state the obvious and make it scary.

Quote:
Beer Always Contains the Drug Alcohol

Beverage alcohol, technically referred to as ethyl alcohol (C2H5OH), is the main intoxicating agent in beer.

Medical literature classifies beverage alcohol as a habit-forming and addiction-producing substance, which has a narcotizing action on the central nervous system.

Besides being a dangerous drug, medical authorities in the fields of pharmacology and toxicology also classify beverage alcohol as

an anesthetic
a hypnotic
an analgesic
a poison
a depressant
an irritant

Alcohol cannot be rightfully called a food. It does supply calories of energy, but these are "empty" and "toxic" calories. Alcohol contains no vitamins, proteins or minerals, and its dominant properties place it among the dangerous drugs and poisons rather than among the foods.

The average 12-ounce can of beer contains one-half ounce of beverage alcohol. This is the same amount of alcohol one would obtain from most other alcoholic drinks.
The next thing they follow up with is
Quote:
Beer Always Contains the Drug Lupulin
THAT'S FROM HOPS!!!!!!!!! If you haven't realized...

Of course they must not heard of gruits, eh?

And the rest of the page (maybe you didn't scroll down?) Says this-

Quote:
Maybe the question should be
"WHAT'S RIGHT WITH BEER?"

THE BIBLE SAYS:

"Be not among winebibbers; among rioteous eaters of flesh:
For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty:
and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.
Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions?
who had babbling?
who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
Look not thou upon the wine when it is red,
when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.

AT THE LAST IT BITETH LIKE A SERPENT,
AND STINGETH LIKE AN ADDER."
(Proverbs 23:20-21,29-32)
I'm just surprised that they didn't also put in big letters Beer ALWAYS contains Dihydrogen monoxide In big bold scary letters followed by skull and crossbones.

Some of these are natural byproducts of the brewing process, I.e. The yeast produces them, others are added by ANY BREWER commercial or homebrewer who tweaks his water chemistry to make good beer. For example not everyone's water can make a really tasty ipa- so they add certain of these non harmless compounds (mostly minerals) to help make the beer taste good. They don't flavor the beer, they help the extraction process, to pull all the right flavor compounds out of the grain.

Where you got this from is fear mongering and ignorant.

Like others have said, YOUR HOMEBREW had lupulin, Alcohol, tannins and other things already in them...And as you become a better brewer then you'll probably be grabbing for some of the other "dangerous chemicals"[/sarcasm] to improve your brewing.

Next time you post something like this, you might want to a) check the source, and B) find out if they even know what they're talking about....

I really hope you were posting this to be ironic, like countless others have posted this same stuff before you, not because you really believe it.... Because then you'd just look silly.

This is the homebrewing equivalent of getting Rickrolled.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks like you're homebrewing for all the wrong reasons then.

Gum Arabic is used in almost everything you put in your mouth, from soft drinks, to candy, to medicines, and it's been used for a very long time. No harmful side effects at sensible doses.

Sodium hydrosulfite is also used in foods, and lists no harmful side effects. Everything is “potentially dangerous” if used incorrectly.

Coballt is known as an “oligoelement”, and it's essential for life. It's an important part of vitamin B12, and its medium toxic level (LD50) is up to 500 mg per kilo, per day. That means, a 220Lb person would have to ingest 20 grams of it to start having problems.

Tannic acid, as srt04 said, is present in all beer, including homebrew, and sometimes added to wine and cider. It's not added to beer, as it produces an astringent off flavor.

Ammonium phosphate is also known as “yeast nutrient”. It's NOT used to correct anything, but to promote proper yeast reproduction in wines, ciders, bread, and eventually beer, both commercial and homemade.

Potassium metabisulfite is, as srt04 also correctly stated, the only ingredient of Campden Tablets. It's used as a dechlorinator (to neutralize chloramine), wort/must sanitizer, and stabilizer (together with potassium sorbate), in both commercial and homemade wine, cider and beer, especially if you want to sweeten after fermenting.

Tartaric acid is another compound naturally found in many fruits, and wine. No known ill effects.

Papain is not a “chemical additive”, it's an enzime, mainly found in the papaya fruit, hence its name. It's only regulated for topical (on the skin) use.

And, finally, dextrin is sugar, and it's naturally produced in beer during mashing.

Most of this data can be easily found in Wikipedia. You should really check your facts more thoroughly.

A pessimist is a well informed optimist.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inodoro_Pereyra View Post
Looks like you're homebrewing for all the wrong reasons then......
Brother Inodoro, I hope you didn't spend TOO much time doing research to counter this nonsense did you? I did because I know the source of this...but it's not worth taking time out of anyone else's day. The OP got Rickrolled and didn't even know it.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I'm just surprised that they didn't also put in big letters Beer ALWAYS contains Dihydrogen monoxide In big bold scary letters followed by skull and crossbones.
I was actually gonna mention that...

OP: now that Revvy has mentioned it, you should be aware of dihydrogen monoxide harmful side effects. Here's, from Wikipedia:

Dihydrogen monoxide:

* is called "hydroxyl acid", the substance is the major component of acid rain.
* contributes to the "greenhouse effect".
* may cause severe burns.
* is fatal if inhaled.
* contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
* accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
* may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
* has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

* as an industrial solvent and coolant.
* in nuclear power plants.
* in the production of Styrofoam.
* as a fire retardant.
* in many forms of cruel animal research.
* in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
* as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

As you can see, it's a very dangerous chemical compound, and it's been found to cause more deaths, throughout history, than most other chemicals. You may also know it under its common name, "water".

KuntyBrew Likes This 
Old 04-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
Inodoro_Pereyra
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Brother Inodoro, I hope you didn't spend TOO much time doing research to counter this nonsense did you? I did because I know the source of this...but it's not worth taking time out of anyone else's day. The OP got Rickrolled and didn't even know it.....

For me, researching is learning, and learning is fun. I agree the Op got rickrolled. My problem is that somebody else may read this BS, and buy it.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

The presence of too much Dihydrogen monoxide environmentally can cause major infrastructure degradation and mass death. Results of this have lately been seen in New Orleans and more recently Japan.

It's so unstable that Olea europaea will not mix with it....

Quick Reply