Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why I Love Dry Yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #1
gotsumbeers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Why I Love Dry Yeast

I am looking forward to brewing something Thursday night. Not exactly sure what. I was going to pick a style today. Should I make a starter with this new smack pack? Mercifully use an aging smack pack. Or, use this Saison yeast I harvested? Tonight was going to be starter night.

Then at 3pm I got a call from daycare. "Pick up your daughter. She has a fever and has thrown up." Great. So after leaving work early, a doctor visit, a trip to the pharmacy, and getting the kids fed and to bed (mom is a night nurse so I'm flying solo) I am just sitting down to dinner and a home brew. A Starter ain't gonna happen. Maybe not tomorrow either.

But, no fear! I have Safale 0-5 on hand. Brewing will happen. It always makes great beer and is ready in a pinch.

I love dry yeast.

"Tastes like mom's"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #2
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 144

If only Fermentis would release the myriad varieties the other 2 "big guys" offer...

Old 09-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Hogarthe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

I always keep a pack or 2 of dry yeast on hand, for just such a situation. Really, the only thing you need liquid yeast for is if you really want the beer to conform to a specific style, since there are so many more strains to choose from. But if you just need to brew a good tasting beer, dry yeast works great.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
Wayneh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yo. I have three boys, the oldest being a little over 3 1/2. So lets say someone is always sick and crying. Lol. They all go to daycare so were about ready to hunker down for the cold season even though we never really got a break this summer from colds. So I hear what your saying. Now my extract brew day starts at 10:00pm. I love brewing though so ill stay up late. I just took about 7 months off because of the new baby but now I'm in full swing with a amber ale, hard cider, and Melamel raspberry. Starting a pumpkin ale next week. Well peace out. Check out my YouTube channel hymiesbrew.

Wayne

Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 682 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogarthe View Post
I always keep a pack or 2 of dry yeast on hand, for just such a situation. Really, the only thing you need liquid yeast for is if you really want the beer to conform to a specific style, since there are so many more strains to choose from. But if you just need to brew a good tasting beer, dry yeast works great.

This.

But I will use liquid yeast to style if I plan ahead and have the time. I also freeze yeast vials so I have 8-9 styles but it takes a week to get them going.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
dbrewski
This is my User Title
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I keep SO4, SO5, and a Nottingham ale or two lying around and really value the convenience as you say. I actually used an S33 on a whim a while back on a session bitter where the yeast didn't take (OK, I sat on the yeast for way too long and didn't do a starter, my fault) but the point being it is a nice, light belgian yeast! Quite tasty. When I say light, I mean yeast flavor, some belgian yeasts are a little strong flavor-wise for me. I was on another thread asking about the BRY-97 which is the Danstar west coast yeast, a new one. Sounds like a slow starter though. So there are a few out there but more would be good.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
gotsumbeers
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneh View Post
Yo. I have three boys, the oldest being a little over 3 1/2. So lets say someone is always sick and crying. Lol. They all go to daycare so were about ready to hunker down for the cold season even though we never really got a break this summer from colds. So I hear what your saying. Now my extract brew day starts at 10:00pm. I love brewing though so ill stay up late. I just took about 7 months off because of the new baby but now I'm in full swing with a amber ale, hard cider, and Melamel raspberry. Starting a pumpkin ale next week. Well peace out. Check out my YouTube channel hymiesbrew.
I hear ya. My girl is 10 mos and the boy 2 1/2 yrs. Someone is always sick. It goes in waves. Luckily I have a day off each week when the kids are in daycare so I can brew and get stuff done around the house.

"Tastes like mom's"

Old 09-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Can't go wrong with a pack of S-04 or US-05 to save a brew day. I keep both on hand at all times.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 646

US-05 is my work horse, I love the stuff. Ferments quick, clean, attenuates really well, high abv tolerance, cheaper than liquid yeast, higher cell count per pack, comes with yeast nutrient already in the pack, and every LHBS or big name supplier always has it in stock... It's got my vote everytime.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : London System Southern English Brown
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Muddy Waters Bourbon Mocha Stout , Mosaic Cream Ale
On Deck : Queen Ann's Revenge IPA

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

HeadyKilowatt Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 04:23 AM   #10
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 414 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I keep 04, 05, and notty around just in case but propagate liquid yeast for strain flexibility and savings.

Quick Reply