Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why or how did you get into homebrewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Chaddyb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Why or how did you get into homebrewing?

I always wanted to try, but once my wife got pregnant I needed another hobby to take place of my much more expensive, and time consuming hobby car resto/customizing. So whats your story?

Kegged: Grand cru, Ferocious IPA
Bottled: Java stout, Hanks hefeweizen, Grand cru
Primary: Chocolate milk stout, pumpkin ale, Belgian Wit
Secondary: Coffee brown ale
Next Up: ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
naiek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 708 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 27

My dad and I always talked about it and before he died he made some weird kit in large hot water bottle and it tasted funky. That turned me off of home brew for a long time. Then I saw the Alton Brown Good Eats beer episode and that did it for me - and no, I don't boil my grains

Old 03-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
mcbethenstein
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

I read Barbara kingsolvers book about living for a year on their own food... That got me involved in making cheese. Several cheese making supply websites also sell beer stuff, so the seed was planted. After I got pregnant and my boyfriend and I bought a house, we met the neighbors who brew, and that sealed the deal. I bought him a kit for Christmas that year, and we took off... Only thing I didn't realize was that it would become my hobby, and not his... But he helps me bottle and drink, and comes to the club meetings with me.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

The first time, I was reading a Popular Sci/Mechanics magazine and saw a add for E C Kraus and made two batches of beer. The second one was a disaster. Bottle bombs, etc. The second time, my cousin re-gifted me a Mr. Beer kit for Christmas. That was about 2 years and 196 gallons ago....

Old 03-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
blade_420
Recipes 

Always wanted to try it and toyed with the idea for years. Now I work in a pub with a brewery and one of my mates just started up after a few years off. Kinda put the buzz in me again so I bought a starter kit.

Brewed up my first batch today.

Bottled - Sorachi Citra Wheat 5.5%, TIPA 6%

Old 03-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I was back home one spring break and was hanging out with my brother and his roommates. One of them brews, and he had a corny of brown ale in the fridge which was really good and my first introduction to homebrew. I was just getting into craft beer at the time as well, and the more I learned about beer the more I wanted to know how it was made and was pretty infatuated with the idea of brewing my own. So about a year of off and on reading and research later I got my starter kit from Midwest and started from there.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
BrewChem
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 38 Posts

I work as a chemist for a research and testing firm. I've always enjoyed beer but never gave much thought to brewing my own. About a year or so ago, we initiated a project on water chemistry and one of the possible applications was beer so we set up to make a few batches in the lab to test the theory. Well... thlngs ended up looking better on paper then in practice, the project was abandoned and we moved onto other things.... however.... the I was infected with the brew-bug. I put together a brewing rig at home and started with extract kits... I went to partial mash and concocting my own recipes then made the leap to AG a fee months ago... its a really cool hobby that I can indulge in now that one of the offspring is out in college and the other is a senior in HS...

Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Genjin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brewed a little in College, roughly ten years ago, but never made anything drinkable due to lack of commitment. Got a real job, got a wife and a cat. Had kind of forgotten about it until this past Christmas when the wife got me a starter kit. I have the funds and drive now which were lacking in College and a willing test subject (not the cat). Brewed four batches in about 6 weeks. One is nearly gone and just bottled a smoked porter this weekend. I'm hooked!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #9
thepartsmancometh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

My father brewed when I was growing up and I helped alot. When I was out on my own, it was natural for me to start brewing

Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
aubiecat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I got brewing kit for Christmas. Simple as that.

Quick Reply