Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why is everyone telling me to tie the hop bags to the side of the pot somehow?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default Why is everyone telling me to tie the hop bags to the side of the pot during the boil

I have these small 6-inch hop bags that I am planning to use for my whole leaf hops, but there is one thing that I dont fully understand: why do people tell me to tie it to something..like the side of the kettle/handle of the kettle?

I am planning to throw them in, and the boiling should keep them in motion (that way it wont end up burnt at the bottom or maybe even at the side of the kettle....right?).
Once the boil is almost at an end....I'll fish them out. Is this viable?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 184

They can plug the drain and they soak up a lot of wart so it's nice to tea bag them with a spoon. I don't tie them to the pot, I use a basket like this.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 289 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 47

It makes it easier to pull them out when you're done brewing. They will be hot, soggy, and bloated with wort. If you pull them out before the pot is drained you can hold them up and let that hoppy goodness drain into your pot. If they're free-floating you have to fish around with your mash paddle and try to slide them along the side of the pot to get them out. They flop around like a dead fish and fall back into the pot. From my experience it's best to use a BYO Hop Spider. In my experience the PVC will start to sag into the pot as the temp increases so instead of using PVC, use a galvanized duct reducer that looks like this:

Old 08-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I never secure them in any way. When I'm ready to fish them out, I use my brewing spoon and bring them to the surface, then grab the end and lift out. Of course, it can burn like the dickens so you may want to take precautions like maybe securing them to something. ;-)

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Homercidal Likes This 
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
CastleHollow
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you're using one of those cotton mesh hop socks, I'm not sure a 6" bag is big enough for whole leaf hops. I'd go with a paint strainer bag.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

I use the small hop socks for pellets. An ounce of whole leaf hops takes up too much more volume than pellets for those small sacks. I use the muslin grain sacks they give with extract with steeping grain kits & PM kits for whole leaf hops.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 214

paint strainer bag, clipped to the side with a large binder clip. I throw a couple of spoons in it to weigh it down. At the end of the boil I pull it up, and re-clip so it drains. When it is done draining right to the compost it goes.

To clean I turn it inside out, hose off what hop bits I can then let dry. After it it dry I can brush off the remaining material; then reuse.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1909 Times on 1680 Posts
Likes Given: 1414

I put my dual layer fine mesh strainer over the kettle & let the hop socks drain. I bag the remains & toss'em in the garbage so the dogs don't get into them. Hops are poisonous to dogs,so I don't leave them loose. The muslin socks get rinsed well after draining to remove more loose bits. Then I boil them in clean water till the water turns green to clean'em a bit.
Then soak for a few days in a small airtight container of PBW to get'em white again. The nylon bags I use for grains rinse off in a sink of water quick-n-easy.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I have these small 6-inch hop bags that I am planning to use for my whole leaf hops, but there is one thing that I dont fully understand: why do people tell me to tie it to something..like the side of the kettle/handle of the kettle?

I am planning to throw them in, and the boiling should keep them in motion (that way it wont end up burnt at the bottom or maybe even at the side of the kettle....right?).
Once the boil is almost at an end....I'll fish them out. Is this viable?
Yes, this is viable IMHO.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
Elysium
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleHollow View Post
If you're using one of those cotton mesh hop socks, I'm not sure a 6" bag is big enough for whole leaf hops. I'd go with a paint strainer bag.
hi there.

Thanks for the reply. I use several small bags. So, I think I will be on the safe side.

Quick Reply