Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why is everyone not doing this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Some folks just aren't do it yourself kind of people and they're rather just buy their beer and drink it. I can relate though. I'm perfectly capable of changing my own oil and it would be cheaper, but it's worth it to me to pay a little more to have someone else do it while I go next door and look around the hardware store.

Plus, most people just don't like anything except BMC beer! They're not interested in anything else. They don't like variety. They want their weak, watery beer to taste the same very time they open a can.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #22
munklunk
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'd personally love any insight into making really good soap. That's another hobby I could really get into.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #23
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I for one am glad that more people don't do this. I know how easy it is to make beer because I've done it. But, I love the response I get when I tell people. They are amazed, as if I have some incredible talent because most people have no concept of how beer is made. Also, I don't want to see a run on malt, hops and yeast. I'd prefer if my ingredient costs didn't go up.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #24
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

to be honest when i first started making beer i didnt evn really like beer a whole lot. i just like making things. but now that i make beer i have been tasting everything i possibly can and am starting to like it because i can taste the different things and appreciate the flavor that is pulled out of different things.

but i like to make soap and a ton of other things. soap is pretty easy and like beer you can start easy with melt and pour (extract brewing) or you can do cold process (all grain)

Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #25
vinyl_key
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that don't even cook their own food. Ever.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #26
kcpaige89
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by munklunk View Post
I'd personally love any insight into making really good soap. That's another hobby I could really get into.
It is pretty easy from what SWMBO does, and the quality is great. Basically you buy bulk glycerin based soap (http://www.brambleberry.com/Bulk-Mel...Base-C126.aspx) and melt it down with fragrances like honey or lavender or whatever you can think of, and then pour it into molds and let it set.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
Tinga
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
I for one am glad that more people don't do this. I know how easy it is to make beer because I've done it. But, I love the response I get when I tell people. They are amazed, as if I have some incredible talent because most people have no concept of how beer is made. Also, I don't want to see a run on malt, hops and yeast. I'd prefer if my ingredient costs didn't go up.
well in the short run prices would go up yes but over time more supply would come in to the market and prices would go down lower than what they are now and there would be more variety of things to choose from. but at the same time the less people that do it the more interesting it is.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #28
ian-atx
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_key View Post
You'd be surprised at the amount of people that don't even cook their own food. Ever.
Man, quoted for truth. I am always surprised at work how many people never make food at home. And by make food, I mean more than just heat something up or open a box and dump into a skillet.

Also homebrewing got really great when the beer I made started to taste really good consistently, and if I made a mistake, i could actually track it down.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #29
TheMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 325 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think it's very obvious that most people on this board just like to create and build. I also think the general public doesn't even know they could brew beer. Or don't know how easy it is.

Just reading this thread I found out how simple making yogurt is lol. I will probably do this next week now. I just like creating things, brewing and cooking are tons of fun for me.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Apparently SOMEONE things it's becoming too popular.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/home...opular-185041/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply