Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why is everyone not doing this?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 03:45 AM   #11
WeeJock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

There is certainly a connection with the homebrewer, cheesemaker, fruit gatherer, smallholder, hunter.
I personaly like to know something about where my beer or food comes from. What better way to show the kids how to appreciate animals or alcohol than to get them feeding sheep at 6.00am or cleaning 90 bottles for the monthly brew.
Brewon! thats what i say, There is more to it than meets the why!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
marcycaulkins
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Yogurt is simple. You get fresh milk (not ultra pasteurized- I use fresh goat's milk that I pasteurize at 180 for 30 minutes, and then reduce the temp to 112 quickly) and add a couple of tablespoons of yogurt, or 1/4 teaspoon of yogurt culture. Keep at 112 degrees for 6-12 hours. Stir and refrigerate. That's it! The trick, though, is getting fresh milk. The chevre is even easier in some ways.
I make my own yogurt, too. All I do is boil 1/2 gallon of milk in a non-reactive saucepot, cool to 120-122, add 1/4C of whisked plain yogurt with active cultures (I like Stonyfield farm the best so far), cover the pot, wrap it in a towel (to keep it warm) and let it sit. It usually sets within 4-6 hours, although sometimes a little longer. You can also strain it to get greek style yogurt. To strain, I usually tie mine up in muslin or multiple layers of cheesecloth, and let it sit in a colander suspended over a saucepot in the fridge overnight.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:12 PM   #13
BlueSunshine
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
I think it is because people in general are lazy, uncreative, and completely dependent on pre-packaged goods.
This.

/thread

Bottled: Three Pistols, Spaced Out Saison, Amarillo Armadillo
Conditioning:
Fermenting: GTFO Stout
Gone: Sheffield Pale Ale, Donut Shop Coffee Stout,Hop Rape Imperial IPA, Hooston's Irish Red Beer'd

Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #14
BuonAnno
Recipes 

I like when I tell people about my hobby and they respond with, "I'm pretty sure that isn't even legal."

I agree that it takes a certain type of person to do this. I'm the kind of guy who enjoys cutting my own grass, brewing my own Iced Tea, catching my own fish and growing my own vegetables.

Kegged
Justin Cider

Old 08-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think lack of knowledge of how easy, cheap and awesome it is is a big part of it. I only started brewing when I randomly walked past a Mr. Beer kit in a store I thought it would be kind of cool so I did a little internet researching which lead me to a brewstore, this forum and "How to Brew" from there I started brewing and like most never looked back.

When people try my beer or ask me about my brewing I get mainly positive responses when I explain how easy and cheap it is to make most are blown away, they never considered MAKING beer as a possibility and if they never knew a homebrewer they likely never would have even known it was possible.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #16
prosper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it's just cooking. Some folks like doing it, to others it would be a chore.

Plus, most people don't actually *like* beer. Beer marketing is so effective that people like the *idea* of beer, even if they've never actually acquired a taste for the product. But that's OK, because the big brewers developed 'lite' beers that taste more like carbonated water than beer.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

95% of people are assh*$#@, and the other 5% make beer.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Many hobbies are fun, but don't produce anything. Like golf, for instance.
Oh I beg to differ! Golf produces agony and frustration!

Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
BuonAnno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
95% of people are assh*$#@, and the other 5% make beer.
Hello new sig!
Kegged
Justin Cider

Old 08-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #20
kcpaige89
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default I agree with this

Quote:
I agree, brewing is awesome! But I could ask "Why is everyone not doing this?" about all of my hobbies.

I make my own cheese and yogurt. I make my own soap. My soap is terrific, and it costs pennies per bar. My yogurt was cheap, too. My chevre is about 1/4 the cost of the store bought. My wines are even cheaper- since the fruit is free.

Many hobbies are fun, but don't produce anything. Like golf, for instance. But brewing is a hobby that is not only fun to do but has a great end result- BEER! I guess some people just don't think of it the same way.
SWMBO makes soaps that are amazing. I too make my own cheese, yogurt, and bread(levain made bread, which is keeping a mother-yeast going, so it makes unique, local bread). It was while making bread that I realized beer can't be that much more difficult than yogurt or bread. Plus, I'm moving to France where there is plenty of cheap and delicious cheese and wine, but not much beer.

I have other hobbies too though. I solve rubiks cubes, I program iPhone apps, write, and study French history. Sure, these don't produce much tangible, but they keep my mind active and are interesting endeavors. Can't wait to get the first batch going in a month or so!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS