Why Edworts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawsonH

Reaction score
Ok, me and a couple of friends were discussing our brews one day and the topic of making some apfelvine came up. We did end up putting some on, but I have a question.

What makes this recipe Edwort's? Isn't it just apple juice, sugar, and wine yeast? Surely someone thought of this before Edwort. So what's the deal? Why pay all the homage to Ed?

(please note, this thread is mostly light hearted and does not mean to offend Edwort in any way. He is the high guru of HBT)

May all your future brew be stricken non-alcoholic! :D

Blasphemy I say, Blasphemy!

Even if someone else did come up with it first, they didn't come up with it first *here*.

He introduced it to this forum so I guess that's all that matters. :)

Obviously they thought of it in Germany 'cause I think he said that's where he had it.

I'm sure folks were making hard cider long before I ever tried, however, I wanted to replicate German Apfelwein after returning to the states from Germany in 1995. I moved my family to Provo, Utah from the Frankfurt area, so going from Beer & Apfelwein heaven to Beer & Apfelwein hell was not fun.

I experimented with juice, yeast & dextrose till I came up with something that was pretty damn close to what you get in Frankfurt. That was 12 years ago in 1995.

It's been almost a year since I shared my recipe with this forum. I have not seen it anywhere else. It's spawned a run on Apple Juice and Montrachet wine yeast at LHBS everywhere, but not until I posted it here on HBT.

There's lots of cider recipes out there, even books on it, but if you google Apfelwein Recipe, you'll find almost every English speaking reference to making it points to my thread started in October of 2006. I think it is safe to say it's my recipe, though many folks have used to experiment and create many different beverages.

Feel free to use it and call it what you like as I'm happy to share this simple recipe and appreciate all the homage from folks giving credit where they believe credit is due.

And I learned something today.

(And I have no problem with people giving you homage, this was just a light hearted thread)
:mug:

In two weeks, a nearby town has their annual Apple Fest. I'm going to buy some juice or cider and finally try Apfelwein.

beenjammin said:
seems like i should give credit to the b'ys in Frankfurt...or anywhere apples grow and the people live...
If we did that sort of thing with everything we brewed, the names would go something like:

prehistoric nomads, Noah's Ark, Babylonian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Hebrew, Chinese, Inca, Egyptian, Africa, North American, Mexican, South American, Brazilian, Japanese, Other Asian cultures, Russian, Romans, Caesar, German, Austrian, English, King Wenceslas, Bohemian, Czechoslovakian, Slovakian, Czech Republican, Columbus, Indian, Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Walter Raleigh, Virginian, Dr. Alexander Nowell, New Amsterdam (NYC, Manhattan), Pilgrims, Plymouth Rock, Harvard College, William Penn, George Washington, Molson, Canada, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, James Madison, Munich, Oktoberfest, Gabriel Sedlmayr, Anton Dreher, Vienna, Pilsen, Anheuser-Busch, Miller, Coors, Stroh, Schlitz, Pabst, Adolphus Busch, Budweiser, Pasteur, Teddy Roosevelt, American Can Co., Kreuger Brewing, Elise Miller John, Fritz Maytag, Anchor Brewing Co., New Albion, California, Asahi, Michelob, G. Heileman, HomebrewTalk.com, (insert name of beer here)

(sorry, there are about a million other contributors - I just grabbed all the nouns from a concise history of beer)

beenjammin said:
seems like i should give credit to the b'ys in Frankfurt...or anywhere apples grow and the people live...
Get over it dude, When you write ,brew and test your own recipe, then have lots of folks think it's great, come back and offer it to anyone who wants it with humility,i'll talk to you some more. Till then, Bug off. Oh yeah, IMHO.

There's an excellent film I just saw called "Beerfest" (you may have heard of it).....;) It's all about the secret recipe.....I quote,

"I want to stick my **** in it!"....
"I want it to stick its **** in me!"

That's just how I feel about Apfelwein....:p

Hell just the amount of posts in the " Man, I' love Apfelwein" thread makes it EdWorts. If this thread gets 2103 (as of 1:07 a.m.) posts maybe we'll have a consortium to change who's recipe it is.

DawsonH said:
What makes this recipe Edwort's? Isn't it just apple juice, sugar, and wine yeast? Surely someone thought of this before Edwort. So what's the deal? Why pay all the homage to Ed?

(please note, this thread is mostly light hearted and does not mean to offend Edwort in any way. He is the high guru of HBT)

Light hearted or not.....I am unable to understand what you hoped to achieve with this post. What difference does/would it make? When you are able to display the kind of humility displayed by Ed (which I believe is the reason for the homage paid to him) Some one might begin to pay you homage one day.

Damn, the wrath of HBT has befallen you! :p I don't think it really matters either way, but when someone humbly suggests a simple recipe that they enjoy at home and approximately 2400 gallons are made by fellow homebrewers, (in a year, I might add) ya gotta give some props. ;)

Last week, someone posted a link on NBs site to EdWort's recipe here at HBT. I think the original poster was looking for an Apfelwein recipe. So EdWort's fame and recipe is spreading-sort of a modern Johhny Apple(wein)seed.

Even if Edwort's recipe produces exactly the same flavor, it is unlikely to be the same as in Frankfurt. I've made AHS Rogue Mocha Porter clone and I know it has a different grain bill and uses a different yeast, but no one can tell the difference. Coming up with a recipe that works well over a wide range of juices is noteworthy.

If all those Google hits being a few more people to the forum, then great.

Mad props to EdWort for a recipe that's so simple and so exceptional. Everyone I've shared the ApfelWein with loves it (we've given bottles away as presents). The fact you can make such a tasty beverage for virtually no money and virtually no effort is worthy of all the praise that Ed has received.

Yuri_Rage said:
If we did that sort of thing with everything we brewed, the names would go something like:

prehistoric nomads, Noah's Ark, Babylonian, Assyrian, Egyptian, Hebrew, Chinese, Inca, Egyptian, Africa, North American, Mexican, South American, Brazilian, Japanese, Other Asian cultures, Russian, Romans, Caesar, German, Austrian, English, King Wenceslas, Bohemian, Czechoslovakian, Slovakian, Czech Republican, Columbus, Indian, Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Walter Raleigh, Virginian, Dr. Alexander Nowell, New Amsterdam (NYC, Manhattan), Pilgrims, Plymouth Rock, Harvard College, William Penn, George Washington, Molson, Canada, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Adams, James Madison, Munich, Oktoberfest, Gabriel Sedlmayr, Anton Dreher, Vienna, Pilsen, Anheuser-Busch, Miller, Coors, Stroh, Schlitz, Pabst, Adolphus Busch, Budweiser, Pasteur, Teddy Roosevelt, American Can Co., Kreuger Brewing, Elise Miller John, Fritz Maytag, Anchor Brewing Co., New Albion, California, Asahi, Michelob, G. Heileman, HomebrewTalk.com, (insert name of beer here)

(sorry, there are about a million other contributors - I just grabbed all the nouns from a concise history of beer)

No Jimmy Carter? No Charlie Papazian?

Booooo.

I think you'll find Edwort took the idea and the ingredients, brewed, tested and refined it. Making it his recipe

Apart from all of that.
It's a way to define the recipe so we know which one it is.

And.

It's EdWort's Apfelwein not apfelvine.[/B]

Edwort seems to have a knack for creating simple to follow recipes that are presented well and can be very appealing, particularly to new brewers. If the man doesn't have a successful career in marketing, he ought to.

Back