Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why does there appear to be so much anxiety about brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 910 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot View Post
I think its due to the amount of work that people put into it and how long beer takes to make.

For me, brew day starts at about 8 am. Milling the grain, heating the strike water, etc. And I'm not done till around 3 or 4 depending on how smooth things do or don't go. Then you wait for 3+ weeks depending on what you made. To have all that work/time go down the drain can be a littl stressful to think about.

Of course, the longer I've been brewing the more relaxing and patient I've become, but those first 4 batches were kinda nerve racking.
practice does take a lot of the anxiety out of it. getting a pipeline going helps too

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 325

As already mentioned the amount of time to wait to see how it comes out is a huge factor. But personally I think the biggest thing is just newer brewers and it's normal. I no longer fret about anything really and everything always comes out pretty damn good regardless. Sometimes I might take a note as to what needs adjusting and just take that into account the next time I brew a recipe. But I think given enough time, or experience rather, brewing people lose that anxiety/worry.

Rev.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4777 Times on 3472 Posts
Likes Given: 952

I'm pretty relaxed about brewing, but there are some things to be mindful of. I've burned myself, cut myself, pinched myself, etc. So I don't drink a beer until the boil starts, and then just one. After the wort is chilling, then I can have another.

Other than that, I don't obsess or worry about much. I do enjoy "geeking out" on water chemistry and recipe formulation and stuff like that but I'm not anxious about any of that.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #14
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I agree with many comments.

For now it's enjoyable, but ultimately issues develop with equipment usually. I recall in my early all grain days, self taught from TNCJOHB, that I had a 10 gallon insulated cooler mash tun with a plastic false bottom. I could never get a good runoff, always chunks of grain. Very frustrating. I finally discovered, that when the mash was heated, that the plastic bottom separated from the rest of the cooler, and bowed up, which upset the plastic false bottom. I thought the plastic FB was the problem and swapped to a metal on, but same deal. Took me months to figure out what was happening, because you cannot see the bottom of the mash tun when it's full of grain. Ultimately I swapped the false bottom for a bazooka screen and happy days from then on.

It can be frustrating to invest the time and money into a hobby, then have a frustrating brew day, when you're doing it for enjoyment and trying to relax.
Also, for those of us who can't brew as frequently as they want, there is often no homebrew to consume on brew day, and thus RDWAHAHB can't be satisfied...

TD

Old 02-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1646 Times on 1237 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrshotshot View Post
I think its due to the amount of work that people put into it and how long beer takes to make...... you wait for 3+ weeks depending on what you made....
HERE IT IS.

There is so much time to wait.....and think.......and OBSESS...........and THINK SOME MORE!!!! ONLY THIS TIME NOT SO RATIONALLY!!!!!!! AND THEN WE WANT SO BADLY TO DO SOMETHING, ANYTHING, TO MAGICALLY FIX WHAT WE THINK MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE GONE WRONG!!!!!!AND ALL SHALL LOVE ME, AND DESPAIR!!!!!

Wait. Got a little carried away, but you see my point. Beer is so effing awesome and we have SOOOOO much time to obsess. Not a good thing, especially for noobs.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #16
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

People want to make a decent beer and post their questions here. It's like whitehaus ssaid, people have a lot of time and money invested.

Plus there can be a lot of nuances that may be out of people's experience, and they are supplementing their knowledge with the huge level experience of the collective group on this forum.

People may appear to be anxious in their posts, but keep in mind it is difficult to read someone's mood through writing alone, unless they add a lot of emoticons.

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
I am always a bit anxious when brewing a new recipe, but once the wort is done I know that nothing can be determined until fermentation ends.

Even then it sometimes needs age to prove it.

It is probably because so many on forums, videos and books obsess over sanitation, temp and additions to the point of overcomplicating the process for younger brewers which causes a bit of anxiety...quit doing this sh*t. Brewing has been done for centuries in the least favorable conditions possible that would have the forums screaming about how it would never work...and yet here we are
While I agree brewing has been done for centuries in less favorable conditions, and I constantly remind myself of that I will add that we have no way to know for sure if the beer was good.

I think of it as changing tastes. Just one or two generations ago, folks thought liver and onions was good stuff. Personally, I can't stomach it. And I eat damn near everything. So was beer 300, or 1000 years ago gonna be palatable now that we have evolved both our tastes and brewing processes to meet those tastes?

Just because they used to do it and it was good, to me doesn't make it so.

Now, it very well coulda been great! And I'm not trying to discount the fact that we should relax a bit, just pointing out thoughts I've had.

My wife is like a well crafted beer...bitter, yet sweet enough to balance perfectly!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastDamnBatch View Post
You've heard it a millions time RDWHAHB!

I (mis?) interpret a lot of posts here as being overly anxious.

Did I do this or that right?

How will variable X affect my beer?

Isn't that part of the fun of homebrewing? (Attempting to establish a repeatable process on your own equipment while making a drinkable beer, all through experimentation.)

Do you feel anxious about brewing? Why? Time/money wasted? If you had no one to ask, would you still brew?
You hit the nail on the head, new brewers are overly anxious. They only know enough to be "dangerous" so ignorance breeds fear until they gain the experience that leads to wisdom.

They often don't understand that nothing pathogenic can exist in beer, so they think that any mistake can be lethal or make you sick.

Also they think their beer is like a new born baby and that it need to be hovered over, and if they even look at it wrong it's going to be ruined, and more than likely anyone who drinks it will therefore die a horrible deat.

They furthermore don't realize just how ugly, and stinky fermentation can be, and don't realize that we're really drinking the waste product of a micro-organism, and like any waste product it can kind of look pretty disgusting, even when it is normal.

They don't realize how hard it really is to do a screw up that would actually ruin our beer. They don't think they can screw up.

We're human, we're always going to screw something up. The thing is, it's not about not screwing up, it's about rolling with the punches when it happens. It's about saying, "Oh well, I still made beer."

They don't realize that our beer is really resilient, that 99.99999% of our screw-ups are NOT going to ruin our beer, no matter what boneheaded things we manage to do. I've said it a million times, we've sunk body parts in our beer, and it's still turned out fine.

I've been brewing for years, and I'm sure I screw something up everytime I do it....BUT, I don't run on here asking for re-assurance or analyzing the "what if/what could happen " and worrying about it. Instead I trust that it's still going to be fine, because nearly every time, it is.

And if it doesn't, there's nothing I can do about it now. The deed is done and I won't know for 8 weeks or so anyway. And more than likely even if it doesn't turn out, if I stick it in the closet for 6 months or a year.....there's a 50% possibility it WILL still turn out fine.

I suggest all new brewers read these threads instead of worrying, they'll show you how strong your beer really i, and how all of us make mistakes.

Revvy's advice for the new brewer in terms of worry.

What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great?

And Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer!

We're human, to expect that we won't make mistakes is silly. It still happens, I bet your pro-brewer made a bunch of mistakes while showing you what to do....but he didn't react to them, he just continued on.

That's what an expert does....it's not that he's perfect, he just doesn't let the screwups get to him.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

ROAM Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
DirtyGerman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would agree i have been brewing for about 5+ years now and only now am i turning out good beers, it took some time to realize a Balanced beer takes time and most of mine takes about a 3 month process before they are mature/ good to be drank. but yes only answers is what people want, i love this site it's a treasure trove of brewing.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
TrickyDick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 145 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyGerman
I would agree i have been brewing for about 5+ years now and only now am i turning out good beers, it took some time to realize a Balanced beer takes time and most of mine takes about a 3 month process before they are mature/ good to be drank. but yes only answers is what people want, i love this site it's a treasure trove of brewing.
Yep. That's the truth of it. Many beginning homebrewers are like kids, overly anxious to get to it!

Patience has it virtues for sure.
Of course, once you get good at it, and can get through brew day efficiently, it becomes relaxing to brew, and just enjoy how you're spending the day instead of being at work!

TD

Quick Reply