Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why does there appear to be so much anxiety about brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #1
TheLastDamnBatch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Why does there appear to be so much anxiety about brewing?

You've heard it a millions time RDWHAHB!

I (mis?) interpret a lot of posts here as being overly anxious.

Did I do this or that right?

How will variable X affect my beer?

Isn't that part of the fun of homebrewing? (Attempting to establish a repeatable process on your own equipment while making a drinkable beer, all through experimentation.)

Do you feel anxious about brewing? Why? Time/money wasted? If you had no one to ask, would you still brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #2
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Time and money are a factor for most, but I think people just want to get it right and have good beer to drink.

For the average brewer:
5 hours for a brew day, 2 weeks or more in the fermenter,possibly another week dry hopping, 3 weeks carbing if you bottle. That's a good amount of time invested only to find out you made a dumb mistake a ruined a batch.

As most of us know now, beer is pretty forgiving in some respects, and a down right nasty bitch in others.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 AM   #3
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I am always a bit anxious when brewing a new recipe, but once the wort is done I know that nothing can be determined until fermentation ends.

Even then it sometimes needs age to prove it.

It is probably because so many on forums, videos and books obsess over sanitation, temp and additions to the point of overcomplicating the process for younger brewers which causes a bit of anxiety...quit doing this sh*t. Brewing has been done for centuries in the least favorable conditions possible that would have the forums screaming about how it would never work...and yet here we are

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

jwwbrennan Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
I am always a bit anxious when brewing a new recipe, but once the wort is done I know that nothing can be determined until fermentation ends.

Even then it sometimes needs age to prove it.

It is probably because so many on forums, videos and books obsess over sanitation, temp and additions to the point of overcomplicating the process for younger brewers which causes a bit of anxiety...quit doing this sh*t. Brewing has been done for centuries in the least favorable conditions possible that would have the forums screaming about how it would never work...and yet here we are
Very true!

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #5
MoPhunk
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Never had an anxious brew day. I brew as a hobby. My hobbies are supposed to help me de-stress.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #6
tommyguner03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 78

im new to the homebrewing and enjoy the process of making home brew.. only thing i need to work on is patience!! it will come one day i know it ..

Old 02-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
cramar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It's a reflection of society in general.
Everything today is a crisis but only until the next crisis comes along, brewing is a game of patience and in our insta-gratification society patience is something alot of people don't have.

Another aspect is people simply wanting answers instead of wanting knowledge, alot of people don't want to search and investigate and develop knowledge - they just want their immediate question answered asap.
I'm new here, one batch under my belt, I had a few problems to overcome and that was done almost entirely by searching and reading these forums. During that time I was amazed how many questions kept coming up over and over and over and the same recommendations as well: patience and time.

Also, certain brew kit companies do promote an image of "brew today and have beer in a week", perhaps newbies don't appreciate how that only applies to certain types of brewing.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 867 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Brewing has been done for centuries in the least favorable conditions possible that would have the forums screaming about how it would never work...and yet here we are
I agree

we're doing what people just like us were doing 1000 years ago without the benefit of the superior equipment, technique and ingredients we enjoy. plus we have an almost unlimited pool of resources at our disposal here on HBT and other sites.

relax... you really have to TRY to ruin beer to actually ruin it
don't worry... a couple degrees, a couple pounds, a couple ounces (liquid or dry) or a couple days one way or the other is NOT going to totally foob your beer

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

The end product is so amazing and mysterious to begin with, that our minds assume that it must take great skill and be easy to screw up.

That, and the fact that there are people in this world who enjoy worrying.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
mrrshotshot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think its due to the amount of work that people put into it and how long beer takes to make.

For me, brew day starts at about 8 am. Milling the grain, heating the strike water, etc. And I'm not done till around 3 or 4 depending on how smooth things do or don't go. Then you wait for 3+ weeks depending on what you made. To have all that work/time go down the drain can be a littl stressful to think about.

Of course, the longer I've been brewing the more relaxing and patient I've become, but those first 4 batches were kinda nerve racking.

Quick Reply