*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > why does it taste like a wheat?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 AM   #11
Pivot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry boys, I havent brewed enough wheat beers to distinguish between yeast wheat flavour and wheat malt flavour. I just knew it tasted like a wheat. It doesnt anymore though after Ive kegged it for a little while.

GNBrews - The fermentation temprature was probably around 70. I have no way of controlling it. I left it for 3 months during the sumemr too in an apartment that didnt have air conditioning, so it definitely could have been effected by heat during that period

Primary
Dark Belgian, Hobgoblin Clone

Kegged
Dark Ale

Bottled
Fruit Braggot, EdWort's Apfelwein, Coffee American Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
mkling
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot View Post
Sorry boys, I havent brewed enough wheat beers to distinguish between yeast wheat flavour and wheat malt flavour. I just knew it tasted like a wheat. It doesnt anymore though after Ive kegged it for a little while.
The fact that it tastes less "like a wheat beer" now almost assuredly means that it was just yeast that was slow to flocculate. One thing wheat beers taste is yeasty -- I'm betting you initially had some yeast still suspended & it took time to all flocculate out. The other thing wheat beers taste is phenolic which is some of those spice characteristics that come from certain yeast strains (including some of the English strains) and are more present when fermentation is warm -- I'm betting you have more phenols in your beer than usual. These also diminish some over time, though only a little. Because you say it's now gone, I'm betting yeast settling was your main problem. The nice thing is that the solution was easy -- just wait.
Recently Kicked Kegs: Fresh Hop Pale Ale, Citra Rye IPA
On Deck: Old Rasputin, Northstar IPA, Ur-bock Dunkel

Old 09-14-2010, 04:37 PM   #13
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Everyone is explaining what a bavarian wheat style yeast tastes like, which is pretty well known. And I think that works for the OP's problem, but what I would be interested in is what the wheat malt tastes like - just an american style wheat then? There's no real difference between normal ale yeast and american wheat ale yeast?

Also what if you used weihenstephan yeast with a non-wheat malt bill, would the ester production and flavors still be as present?

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Quick Reply