Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why does my hombrew make my stomach upset?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
fishfoolz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Why does my hombrew make my stomach upset?

I have drank two batches of brew so far and both times I have had extreme diarrhea. Is it the yeast? Do I need to filter the beer before kegging it? Anyone else have this happen to them?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
EPS
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ya its prob your body not being adjusted 2 the yeast. This happen 2 my brother when he started drinking home brew. I don't think it lasted him 2 batchs though. But everyones prob diff it will fade when your body gets use 2 it. At least it did for him. I myself never had a problem but thats why i say everyone is diff.

Without beer, life would be a mistake.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 185

yes the yeast is giving you the runs. You have to age the beer a little more, then cold crash, so the yeast drops out. All this happens (the first time) in the carboy.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
fishfoolz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I will have to start cold crashing. Great idea, how long do you chill for, what temp? I assume this is done a day or so before racking off to the keg?

Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default time

your body will get used to it...but you can make it easier on your stomach...and for future guests by:

you can cold crash prior to bottling/kegging....or simply make sure the bottles are in the fridge for at least 24 hours prior to serving.

The longer the bottles condition after bottling the less yeast(and other irritants/proteins) will be in suspension...time will settle all the stuff to the bottom.

Make sure you don't disturb the settled yeast etc on the bottle bottom when you pour...and leave 1/2 inch or so of beer in the bottle.

There are several threads here about the "homebrew pour" which many use to help keep the yeast out of the glass.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #6
Nuggethead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfoolz View Post
I will have to start cold crashing. Great idea, how long do you chill for, what temp? I assume this is done a day or so before racking off to the keg?
24 hours usually does it but there's no rush. You can tell by how clear the beer is. If it's a darker beer, a beam from a flashlight will show clarity.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
fishfoolz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwkblue
your body will get used to it...but you can make it easier on your stomach...and for future guests by:

you can cold crash prior to bottling/kegging....or simply make sure the bottles are in the fridge for at least 24 hours prior to serving.

The longer the bottles condition after bottling the less yeast(and other irritants/proteins) will be in suspension...time will settle all the stuff to the bottom.

Make sure you don't disturb the settled yeast etc on the bottle bottom when you pour...and leave 1/2 inch or so of beer in the bottle.

There are several threads here about the "homebrew pour" which many use to help keep the yeast out of the glass.
Thanks man, I am kegging my beer and since the dip tube draws from the bottom any yeast in the keg is going to get sucked up. I guess the only way to prevent that would be to cold crash in the carboy. Just stick it in the kegerator I guess, until it clears up. Should I filter the beer before kegging? Would Irish moss do any good?

Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
govner1
Raconteur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I shorten my dip tubes by 1/2-3/4" and add a filter(trap) to the end. That pretty much eliminates any problems.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 131

You can also cold crash the kegs, so the yeast settles to the bottom, and pour off the first cloudy/yeasty glass(es) to minimize yeast in other pours.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
JohnnyO
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 892 Times on 840 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Are you letting your beer ferment fully? How long is it fermenting, and are you sure you reached FG? I participated in a competition recently where there were beers that obviously did not ferment long enough. The next day, it sounded like WW3 in my stomach.

Quick Reply