Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > why do you like kegging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #1
new2brew1221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default why do you like kegging?

a buddy and i were discussing home brewing, and he was asking why did i like kegging versus bottling. my reasons were because with kegging, it's quicker, less hassle, and zero chances of bottle bombs. i also said that there is nothing like being able to walk in and pull a pint after working hard all day. from mowing the grass to just another day at the office, it's a good feeling to be able to pour yourself a tall one anytime. plus, you can get as little or as much as you want without having to worry about some going flat or going to waste. so, what are some of your reasons for liking kegging??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
Prsgtrfrk
Recipes 

Cleaning and filling bottles for a ten gallon batch is a huge pain and takes all day! That's why I started kegging.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

because I've never bottled and I dont know any better...

Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
ffaoe
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 19 Posts

kegging saves me hours of work cleaning, sanitizing, drying, and filling of bottles. i do bottle two 750ml bottles for each batch to drink 6-12 months down the road, but thats it.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:20 AM   #5
DonMagee
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Simplicity and clarity was my reason. I love how easy kegging is. I just clean my lines/taps as I clean the keg, fill the the keg with starsan and let it sit until the next beer is ready, then I just run some starsan though the lines, transfer the rest to the next clean keg (if it's not cloudy) and rack my beer.

I like how it's just right there and always at the right temp. I like how it's cleaner and doesn't require me to teach people how to pour without getting the yeast. I like how I can still bottle and give it to friends without a 'how to pour a beer' lesson. I also like how it is easier to get beer up to the volumes of CO2 I want in a few days (great for IPA's and other beers I like young). I have nothing against bottles, but after I kegged my first beer, I'll never do just bottles again.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

The kegging-vs-bottling pissing match has been done to death.

I keg everything, and bottle enough to save for competitions. Not everyone has the financial ability to get into kegging, whereas bottling is relatively cheap. It can also be difficult to find refrigeration space that will accommodate kegs, whereas a dozen or two beer are easy to just toss in the fridge.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 AM   #7
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts

I actually don't like it all too much. I don't like bottling anymore than I do kegging, and it is a much bigger hassle, but kegging isn't really convenient for my situation I guess. Not to mention my keezer is usually running fermentation chamber duties. And in my best efforts to not sound like an alcoholic or anything, it's also a lot easier to tell myself it's time to stop for the night when I have 4 empty bottles sitting in front of me rather than a tap handle with seemingly unlimited beer behind it.

I do plan on finally filling some of my kegs again when my bock and bopils are done lagering, but that'll probably be a while down the road.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Honestly, I don't mind bottling. I really think that if you're doing it properly, bottling day shouldn't take much time or effort. I know it doesn't for me. Every beer I want to age or that I know takes a while to come together gets bottled.

There is, however, something really cool about pulling a pint of your own beer from a tap. That's pretty neat. I also don't like sediment and don't have much fridge space to wait for yeast to compact in the bottom of a bottle.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Honestly, I don't mind bottling. I really think that if you're doing it properly, bottling day shouldn't take much time or effort. I know it doesn't for me. Every beer I want to age or that I know takes a while to come together gets bottled.
I am the same. I usually bottle while my grains are mashing, so it really takes no extra time. The other advantages of bottling for me is that I can have a big variety of different brews to drink. I have about 10 different brews in my fridge and many more that are ready. There is no way I could have 10-15 different brews on tap. I also bring brews to parties so my friends can enjoy them.

I do like stout on nitro so I do have a nitro set up for my stouts. So I both bottle and keg, but mostly bottle.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Beer-lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 103 Posts

I have a kegerator with 3 taps and not enough time and space for enough bottles to keep a nice pipeline. But, kegging is, for me, faster, easier and more expensive. My worst expense is over and now I can use the kegs over and over and over and there's still nothing like pulling the tap on your own beer. I can't get use to that yet and hope I never do.

Quick Reply