Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why do you homebrew? Are people nuts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 341 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Default Why do you homebrew? Are people nuts?

I recently had a run-in with a guy who saw me looking at ingredients on a homebrew supplier website.

He said "What, are you trying to learn how to make beer? You must be really bored."

I tried explaining homebrewing to him and he said "Oh you're one of those people."

I went through the list of common answers about how you can make beer cheeper than what it costs to buy it, how you can make rare varieties, etc. He just gave me a funny look. Then I thought about it...I really don't care how much cash it saves me, or that I can make rare beers. I simply like brewing, and I've barely even scratched the surface. So I want to hear from you guys.

Why do you homebrew?
Have you encountered anyone like this before?

To me it seems strange that a person would even question you like that. I mean, a friend that makes beer is a friend that can give you beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Think of it this way, if you're taking beer to a gathering and he's there, you can bring a 6-pack with five of your beers, and a bud light. Give him the bud, and don't apologize. Cast ye not pearls before swine, and all that.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #3
waldoar15
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have a real DIY streak in me. :P

I also plant a big garden and can/freeze most of the vegetables we use throughout the year. Not to mention that I also got a little ticked when the price of a six of craft beer broke the $10 mark around here.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Hoppus_Poppatopolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I've never encountered a negative reaction. People are mostly fascinated and want to try some. I also keep honeybees and get a similar reaction to that. Most people are fascinated and think it's just a little bit nuts...like homebrewing.

Why do I brew? Like you I just enjoy it. It's satisfying to be able to drink something so enjoyable that I made from a bag of grain. It also gives me great confidence that I can weather the apocalypse

Old 01-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, my first memory of beermaking was my grandfather. He apparantly also influenced my mother and uncle, who influenced myself and my cousins, we've always made beer. My mother and her family were all orginally from Leeds, UK, and my grandfather said he was unable to get the beer here in the states that he liked. I can see that being the case 30-40 years ago, but perhaps not so much today. For me I just grew up in the environment where it was an every other week thing. Plus I think it is really cool, and very rewarding, though probably not on the cheap side.

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

That dude in the store is a dork.

What? You want to learn to cook? Why would you want to learn to cook? That is insane, are you bored?

Yep, you can buy food already prepared too...

Do people actually listen to themselves speak? They must not.

Everyone I have run into, is fascinated with the process and the machinery... which is why I happen to enjoy it.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
moosetav
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I like brewing mostly because the people. I get to brew with my buddies. People like it when I bring them sixers. People are genuinely interested in the process. Meeting other people involved in the hobby. It's been a great experience. I also love the feeling of drinking a delicious brew and thinking "I made that". I can understand now why my dad loves woodworking so much.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You could compare it to cooking. Sure people have to eat, but there's restaurants, pre-cooked & frozen meals at the store, etc. Why do people spend time cooking? Some spend much more time cooking than others do.

It's enjoyment of the process and the results from it. Some people brew for the same reason.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
jdc2
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
That dude in the store is a dork.

What? You want to learn to cook? Why would you want to learn to cook? That is insane, are you bored?

Yep, you can buy food already prepared too...

Do people actually listen to themselves speak? They must not.

Everyone I have run into, is fascinated with the process and the machinery... which is why I happen to enjoy it.
Exactly. There are people who think that anything other than
sitting in an easy chair and pressing the remote is too much of
a hassle. Not only will they not cook their own food, they won't
even get out of the car to go into the fast food restaurant, they
just use the drive through.
Jim

Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #10
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your only answer should have been: "Yep"

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Quick Reply