Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why do you homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
damianow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi everyone,

I've been homebrewing for a number of years and am conducting a study on why homebrewers like homebrewing. The research is for a graduate program in Pennsylvania. We're curious about what parts of the homebrewing process do homebrewers like the most in comparison to how much time these parts take. We want to know why you choose to homebrew instead of just buying craft beer in the store.

We want to know what the most fulfilling and satisfying activities are, and which activities you could really do without. I know that ALL the parts are decently rewarding to begin with, but we want to know which ones are the MOST rewarding.

The survey is just a few pages in length as you walk through the whole process from designing the recipe to serving the beer. I'd like to thank everyone in advance for helping us collect this information. Below is the link - thanks!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1V5g...Xn3R0/viewform

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Well I was going to, but I sort of have a problem with question 2 how long it takes....You've made it a closed ended question, but it's not.

If I'm researching a new style of beer I want to brew, or building an historical recipe like my kentucky common, it could take weeks- reading, tasting beers of a similar style, digging through archives, if it's cobbling together a simple ipa it could take 2 minutes. And somewhere in between depending on the beer I'm making.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
deuce40
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The most rewarding part is opening a bottle and hearing the hiss of co2 escape. Then pour and taking a sip of all your hard work. But is there is a part of the process of making it that I enjoy the most is the boil. Hop additions and just the smell that you get from it is simply amazing.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The satisfaction you get with drinking something you made. And also, I love beer

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
NadoHawk
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Pride in my own work and the fact I made something I want to drink. Plus, even the craft breweries aren't as experimental as I want to be, or in the case of Sierra Nevada, are lazy in differentiating their other varieties of beer from their base product.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #6
cabron99
"Torcedor"
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think, therefore, I brew

Life is too short for cheap cigars

People Like This 
Old 03-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 639

Done

Old 03-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 315 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I like to cook and home brewing is just an extension of that. I get great satisfaction from drinking and sharing my home brew with friends. I like the fact that you can tweak a recipe to what YOU want it to taste like. I enjoy making up a recipe and seeing if my thoughts of what it would taste actually happens.

It all boils down to pride in your craft.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2115 Times on 1851 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

Done. I guess the best part for me is designing the beer recipe,then drinking/anylizing the final product compared to the recipe design.
Also,after reading some comments,I have to say the number I put down for designing recipes is an average. Some just pop into my head,others I work out in BS2. Others I have to research 1st,as is the case with the Burton ale I brewed.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
damianow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, I made to threads in both the Beginners forum and the General forum. Hope I don't piss anyone off :/

Quick Reply