The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why Do You Choose to Homebrew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Mongrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Alcomahol

THPTPTH!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
Irrelephant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I find a lot of people that homebrew also are quite crafty with other things like woodwork. From my observation a lot of people enjoy the "start with nothing, end with something" aspect of brewing.

It's also rewarding in a couple ways. As I mentioned, you start with ingredients and end with a finished product and that is always a thrill, but on top of that, as a bonus, you end up with BEER!

Personally, I enjoy the process and the adventure. Trying new recipes, tweaking other recipes, it's very fun and very therapeutic for me. Plus, when all is said and done, it's something you can be proud of. Homebrewers are pretty generous people when it comes to handing out the finished product. From my point of view, there's nothing better than handing over a freshly bottled 6-pack to friends & family and getting the typical, "Wow, I don't like dark beers but this is phenomenal! Let me know what your next batch will be!!"

On a side note, I blame New Jersey along with my High School and College years. I could never stand watered down ****ty lite beers. I was always the one bringing 6-packs of craft beer while others where all about buying 30-packs of crap.

"Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant!"

pedimac Likes This 
Old 04-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedimac View Post
It's fun as hell.
this.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
Malric
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It's chemistry, biology, cooking, art, etc. What other hobby has that?

Beernik Likes This 
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #15
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

After thirty years of drinking craft beers and my friend's home brews, I finally have the time and money to invest in it as a hobby. I've always enjoyed cooking because I love the science and creativity of it and the fact that you're creating something you can enjoy and share with others when you're done. Making beer fits right in.
The history and science also fascinate me, and the communities that you can join to learn and share with are great.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've had a kegerator for more than 13 years. I finally looked at the price of a 1/2 barrel of run of the mill beer and figured, "I can at least brew my own for this price" Where as I'm not really in it for the money, it's my golf, it's my fishing, basically I enjoy the process, but the mitigating factor to get me started was the fact that prices had risen so much, that I might as well start figuring out how to do this myself.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #17
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

the hobby has a downside.

After seeing you build a gas fired brew rig, an electric temp controller, more plumbing than a mad scientist lab, friends seem to less self conscience with asking advise about fixing every broken object they own.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #18
MedicinalMarisOtter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's definitely not to save money -- what hobby is? For me, the principal enjoyment comes from making something delicious that I can share with friends and family and the sense of pride that comes with saying, "Yep, I made that!". But what keeps me brewing as often as I do is the craft itself. With a medical and biochemistry background, brewing is as much an academic and scientific endeavor as is my formal training. That combined with the satisfaction of creating something from scratch is why homebrewing is the most addicting hobby I know

Old 04-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #19
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 19

As said before: it's fun. I'm also a beer nerd. I don't just want to make it and drink it. I want to cut open a bag of hops, stick my nose in it and breath deeply. I want to read about it and study it. I want to know the history of it.

There is something artisanal about homebrewing. That's why I also bake my own sandwich bread. Sure I could buy it. But I can make it myself by hand and have exactly what I want plus I get a personal connection to the process.

And finally, even for a craft beer enthusiast, my tastes skew towards the unusual. How many 9% hefes do you come across? How many pumpkin saisons? How many hazelnut milk stouts? How many pomegranate-cranberry pLambics? Sure, some breweries make them but I don't always have access to those beers. I can make them myself and have 5 gallons of it to drink over the next 18 months.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.
HopHoarder Likes This 
Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #20
iamwhatiseem
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 17

In today's modern society everything is pre-made, pre-built, pre-cooked etc. etc.
You come home from work and all you have to do is sit in front of a TV and stare at it. As men, we are pre-wired to fix things, build and create what we need. But today - everything is already done.
Sooo...we find outlets for that energy. Some build trains, some work on cars or motorcycles. Some do wood working....and others...make beer.

Quick Reply