Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why do you brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
Netflyer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Why do you brew?

The other day my mother-in-law asked me why do I brew? Realizing I had an incredible opportunity to say what I really felt I judiciously discarded those possible answers and replied something like, 'Beer is Good'... She shook her head and went back to ragging on something else. So I started to think about why I am obsessed with brewing. For me it is the chemistry and the cooking. Combine that with a great software package (beer smith for me but there are many others like promash, etc.) where you can easily do your tweeking and bam - I become the major beer geek that I am. Even after the brewing there is the 'watching', the listening 'Blub.... Blub.....Blub..... Blub'. Then the bottling/kegging and the after product, the way it looks! The perfect head, satisfying taste... Maybe I'll just stick with, 'Beer is Good'...

So, why do you brew?

Kegged:
RiClarke's Guinuess Clone w/da sour 6.4% ABV 1057 SG 1009 FG

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah , I agree. I love to cook and I find Brewing to be very similiar. I like the feeling I get when I brew, you know that feeling that you are making something that will produce a final product. Something that you can't necessarily find at the store (atleast not around here). I mainly homebrew cuz I grew tired of the variety of beers out there.

I am also quite fond of the process of grain to glass. I love them yeasties!

Jesse

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like tinkering... I like reading about stuff I have never known about... I like having someone say "Wow, you made this??". There's a ton of reasons why I brew. Why did I become an obsession?? I have no idea!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I brew, because I like experimentation. The beer part is cool, but it is like one large mad scientist experiment, and you get to build stuff.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Elfmaze
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brew because i like to build things and beer brewing has tons of DIY projects. What will happen when i've built everything i can think of.... I duno

Old 11-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Kaner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I brew, because I like experimentation. The beer part is cool, but it is like one large mad scientist experiment, and you get to build stuff.
You took the words right outta my mouth! Was turning the chest freezer in the garage into a keezer before my first batch had even been racked to the secondary! Beer is Good!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I love to brew because it just seems limitless in its levels of information. I love to learn and to 'figure out' what makes a lager a lager, a stout a stout, etc. and homebrew was just too much to resist.

I guess it comes from a natural tendency to wonder how things work. . .

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 11-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
craigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So I can say "I made that", the building, the science of it and oh yeah THE TASTE.

Kuhnhenn Guild of Brewers homebrew club (KGB)

Old 11-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #9
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 427 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 660

I do it for the smiles that I see when people try my beer and say "you made this?". And that includes the fellow in the mirror.......

Old 11-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
SFBEER
Recipes 

I tried it because my BIL made some drinkable beers and he told me it was cheap. Now I just love the whole process. Tinkering with recipes, going out on a limb just to see what happens. It isn't necessarily the finished product that I'm after its the fun getting there. Kind of like why I have a vegetable garden. It's learning about things and then seeing if I can use that information.
Plus a big plate of home grown french fried sweet potatoes and stuffed zucchini with a pint of home brew makes me very, very, happy, not to mention popular.

Quick Reply