The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > why do friends think homebrew is FREE?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default why do friends think homebrew is FREE?

probably talked about before, but a quick search did not show any recent threads, so I thought I would put it out for discussion. It seems when friends stopped over "for a few" in the pre-homebrew days, we would all kick in a few bucks and someone would make a beer run. A couple of sixes, chairs on the porch or deck, great conversation. . .

Now, with known homebrew in stock, they stop by to "try the latest brew" and hang out, drinking three or four. I have never asked for money from them, yet homebrew is NOT free, and some of the more extreme ones probably cost $2-$3 per pint in ingredients alone, let alone the time and energy and equipment that went into it (a recent Pliny clone and the present Noble IPA each used over a pound of hops in five gallons). I am not trying to be an arse about this, but would it be too much if I asked for a buck or two per beer to cover these costs? How do you handle the freeloaders?

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb View Post
probably talked about before, but a quick search did not show any recent threads, so I thought I would put it out for discussion. It seems when friends stopped over "for a few" in the pre-homebrew days, we would all kick in a few bucks and someone would make a beer run. A couple of sixes, chairs on the porch or deck, great conversation. . .

Now, with known homebrew in stock, they stop by to "try the latest brew" and hang out, drinking three or four. I have never asked for money from them, yet homebrew is NOT free, and some of the more extreme ones probably cost $2-$3 per pint in ingredients alone, let alone the time and energy and equipment that went into it (a recent Pliny clone and the present Noble IPA each used over a pound of hops in five gallons). I am not trying to be an arse about this, but would it be too much if I asked for a buck or two per beer to cover these costs? How do you handle the freeloaders?
I have to say that I am on the opposite end of the coin. I offer unlimited free homebrew to all that visit my place.

That being said, I think a good way may be to explain to them and show them the process and the casually mention the price of hops, yeast, fermenters, grains...etc..etc...tell them it is quite time consuming and moderately expensive. Maybe they will then start to pitch in.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Ah, the ultimate homebrewer's beef.

Thank god 95% of my friends and family brew or make wine so we're always sharing. It all balances out eventually in my life. Same with food and everything else. To me it's about sharing the bounty.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
glockentalk
Recipes 

I look at it this way: I am furthering a cause (good beer), and I'm enjoying my hobby. I'm glad to help turn other people on to the cause and the hobby. In terms of cost, it's a rather inexpensive hobby. Compare it to golf, for example. So, my beer is free. Now, if somebody wants me to prepare an entire batch for them then, yeah, they have to buy the materials; I donate the time and effort, and I get to keep some for myself.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 163 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeeb View Post
and some of the more extreme ones probably cost $2-$3 per pint in ingredients alone,
You're doing it wrong.

I brew more than is humanly possible for 2 people to drink, I love giving it away.

_
Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
BryceL
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts

I'll usually have my friends pick up a few things on the way over to my place such as munchies, meat for the bbq, wood for the fire pit, or stogies to go along with the brew. I enjoy sharing a few brews among friends if I can get a little bit in return.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It's not an easy issue. I don't think you want a strict charge every time they take a beer from your fridge. Better would be for them to pay you back in a non-cash fashion, e.g., buy you a case of beer every now and then, bring over food.

One thing you have to be conscious of is whether you're 'freeloading' in some other area. e.g., a friend invites you to his cottage for the weekend, or something like that.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #8
mojo_wire
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If people don't know how much homebrew actually costs, they would logically assume that it costs next to nothing ("why else would someone go through the effort if it isn't any cheaper?")

Most people probably think the per bottle cost of BMC that sells for $15/case is a couple of cents for ingredients and 50 cents for marketing, so homebrew probably only costs a few cents per bottle without all that overhead. Everybody knows they can go to a restaurant and pay $35 for an 8 oz steak that they could get for $10/lb at the grocery store so why should beer be any different?

Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #9
Demon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My friends and family usually bring something to snack on while we are drinking so it balances out. I also brew way too much to drink myself so I don't mind. Next time friends are coming over tell them to pick up some brats or something. They get the meat, you provide the beer.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
cimirie
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah, I'm with permo on this. I love to brew and I love my beer (well, most of it), but I really love sharing it with others. But even if I didn't brew my own, any guest in my house (friend, relative, etc...) is welcome to refreshment that I have on hand. That's just the way I am. For me, charging people for a beer is kinda.... tacky.

Now, if you have a limited supply brew (specialty, or the Pliny clone you spoke of), I can see holding that back a bit - I did that with an RIS that I only did 2.5 gallons of (first mistake) that took a year of aging. Not every Tom, Dick, and Harry got some.

Now, you mention they come by, hang out, and try the latest homebrew... That's one of the big reasons homebrewing is so cool to me - people make excuses to come by and hang out. I would LOVE it if more people did that.

So how do I handle freeloaders? I invite them in.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuporMan View Post
You guys joke around with this all you want, but let me tell you something: I tried making my own beer one time and wound up with herpes!

Primary: Billy Corrigan Ale, malted cider experiment, Optimator clone
Secondary: Sorachi Ace IPA
Bottled: Dark Lord Clone Imperial Stout, Winter 2010 Spiced Ale Ambassador Brown Ale, Michigan Berry pLambic
Kegged: Old Woodward ESB, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: Honey brown ale, dry stout
People Like This 

Quick Reply