Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why do all my beers taste like crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #21
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by petie View Post
I got all the ingredients for the presidents honey ale. I was gonna do that next. Do you think I'd be safe.
Plan the work and work the plan, keep your ferment cool....should be good.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 02:29 AM   #22
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Plan the work and work the plan, keep your ferment cool....should be good.
ferment cool +1... yeast is the #1

Old 09-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #23
roymullins
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been unable to brew a "quick" beer... every homebrew I have made (double-digit batches) must sit for at least 6 weeks before they are any good- most of them need 3 months in the bottle in the fridge- then they are really good! I read recipies that that say to drink them as soon as they are carbonated. I haven't found the secret to that yet- I don't mind the wait- I just wish I knew how others pull that off...

Old 09-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #24
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymullins View Post
I have been unable to brew a "quick" beer... every homebrew I have made (double-digit batches) must sit for at least 6 weeks before they are any good- most of them need 3 months in the bottle in the fridge- then they are really good! I read recipies that that say to drink them as soon as they are carbonated. I haven't found the secret to that yet- I don't mind the wait- I just wish I knew how others pull that off...
Do you ferment cool? It makes a huge difference. I bottle my Two Hearted at 3 weeks and it's great as soon as it's carbed. If you let it get a little warm there are nasty byproducts that the yeast have to try to clean up.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 09-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4449 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Do you ferment cool? It makes a huge difference. I bottle my Two Hearted at 3 weeks and it's great as soon as it's carbed. If you let it get a little warm there are nasty byproducts that the yeast have to try to clean up.
A well made beer should never take weeks and weeks and weeks. As pabloj said, if it's taking a long long time, then there is a problem.

First, yeast health is the foremost thing to consider. Pitching the proper amount of yeast at the proper temperature and fermenting at the proper temperature is key.

Many people who say they have beer that isn't good will pitch one package of liquid yeast at 80 degrees, and ferment in the mid 70s, and then wonder why the beer tastes bad!

Taking care of the yeast, and fermenting at the proper temperature fixes about 85% of the problems associated with off-flavors.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #26
jfr1111
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymullins View Post
I'm currently drinking a bitter that was brewed two weeks ago. It is only decent, but not because it needs time to mellow, but because I used old hops and grains. I have drank many beers two or three weeks after brewday, even with bottle conditionning. What's the secret ?

1) Simple, proven, foolproof recipes with a low starting gravity (with low carbonation levels).

2) A good pitch of healthy yeast followed by fermentation at a controlled and optimal temperature. 68F is my limit for most English ales, with 64F being my usual target.

Some styles simply don't make for a quick beer though.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #27
petie
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 61 Posts

I'm gettin my free fridge and I'm not brewin anything til I get. Which controller do you recommend,the Johnson or the control products.

If it didn't matter,it wouldn't matter!

Old 09-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #28
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The Johnson control unit rocks. Get the digital version not the analog. I have the analog and will replace it with the digital when it croaks.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:30 AM   #29
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
A well made beer should never take weeks and weeks and weeks. As pabloj said, if it's taking a long long time, then there is a problem.
My experience has been that, once carbed (and I usually wait 3 weeks or very nearly so before considering testing), the beer is good. Sometimes it gets better with time, either in the closet at room temp or in the fridge, but I've not had any beers that were bad after carbing.

I don't push it, though. The fastest I've gone was with my first beer, and that was 3 weeks fermenting and 3 weeks in the closet to carb, and that was just a 1.035 OG bitter---nothing ambitious. That one was hard to wait for, but since then I haven't run out of stock, so it's a lot easier to let 'em sit. (Though I'm very excited to try the ESB that's been in bottle for a week......)

I strongly agree with the advice that's been given and echoed a few times above: keep it simple. It's great to be adventurous, but I think it's best to start with a simple recipe and add complexity one step at a time. More likely to go well, and a lot easier to debug if it doesn't.

Quick Reply