Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why do all grain when LME/DME & Partial Grain so EASY?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #51
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 676 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Personally, I went all-grain in an effort to eliminate the omnipresent sweet-metallic extract "twang" that was in my canned extract kit+LME beers. Having made the transition, I now feel much more pride in my beer. When I serve someone an extract kit beer, and they ask, "This is homemade?", I feel compelled to offer a disclaimer, "Yes, I made this, but it's from an extract kit, not from scratch." Conversely, when I pour a guest a pint brewed from grains, I proudly answer, "Yup, made it from scratch. Come on downstairs, I'd be happy to show you the brewery."

It's empowering knowing you have complete control of the entire process, from grain selection, milling tolerances, mash temperature/schedule, plus (of course) everything after the mash, which is in common with extract brewers. It's a source of pride for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #52
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Personally, I went all-grain in an effort to eliminate the omnipresent sweet-metallic extract "twang" that was in my canned extract kit+LME beers. Having made the transition, I now feel much more pride in my beer. When I serve someone an extract kit beer, and they ask, "This is homemade?", I feel compelled to offer a disclaimer, "Yes, I made this, but it's from an extract kit, not from scratch." Conversely, when I pour a guest a pint brewed from grains, I proudly answer, "Yup, made it from scratch. Come on downstairs, I'd be happy to show you the brewery."

It's empowering knowing you have complete control of the entire process, from grain selection, milling tolerances, mash temperature/schedule, plus (of course) everything after the mash, which is in common with extract brewers. It's a source of pride for me.
IMO, a good number of us go all grain more for the control than cost savings. Although you CAN save good money if you buy your grain right.

Raise a pint if you brew all grain. Well, maybe a pint of coffee at this wee hour.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #53
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
IMO, a good number of us go all grain more for the control than cost savings.
I'd guess that the OCD that drives someone to AG also means that they'll never save money by homebrewing.
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #54
ryno1ryno
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
I'd guess that the OCD that drives someone to AG also means that they'll never save money by homebrewing.
Especially if you end up picking 8 different types of specialty grains.

Okay, I have already seen recipes that call for different darkness but of the same type... for instance, Carmel 30L, Carmel 60L and then Carmel 130L in the same recipe. I mean, cant all that just be averaged and simplified?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #55
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 122

No. Each of the caramel/crystal malts brings a completely different flavor profile, from light sweetness, caramel, toffee, burnt sugar, raisins, etc. Averaging them might give you the same color, but not the same flavor.

Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #56
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Not really. At least not if you're smart about buying your ingredients. Paying $80 per sack of grain is insane (after shipping and such). But getting in on a group grain buy means you might spend half that. Buy hops in bulk and you save again. Easy to save on yeast with at least a few methods too.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #57
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 553 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Not really. At least not if you're smart about buying your ingredients.
Wasn't talking about just ingredients. Have you put a price tag on your entire system?

(. . . and not the one you show to your wife )
That's the nature of being competitive. You find yourself wanting validation from more objective sources then your own ego.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #58
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Wasn't talking about just ingredients. Have you put a price tag on your entire system?
Nope... Don't need to. Most of the gear is actually stuff I've made/modified. The few exceptions are the Duda Diesel chiller, Monster Mill MM2-2.0 and Blichmann burners.

Quote:
(. . . and not the one you show to your wife )
Not married. So I don't need to show anyone anything.

Also, IF you're decent with tools, you can make a good amount of the gear you'll use.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #59
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
I guess the complacency that allows you to stay with extract or prefab kits will only ever allow you to make someone elses beer recipe.

see what I did there
Old 12-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #60
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
I think you are vastly underrating the ingredent selection and quantity as well as quality of each which takes your mash technique up a bit higher since they are related in some fashion.
No way! Sure, it plays a role in technique, but a much bigger role in recipe formulation, which I purposefully excluded.

There's just not that big a difference in recipes between all-grain and extract with steeping grains. I'd say the biggest difference between the two comes during fermentation and fermentability of the wort (which also comes from mash technique)

If you're talking about straight extract brewing (no grains), I would certainly agree with you, but who does that?
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Quick Reply