Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why did you start brewing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
boneshb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why did you start brewing?

Just curious why everyone out there started with brewing.

I got hooked about a year ago when some friends brewed an extract oatmeal stout. We drank it while it was stil green and thought that we wouldnt be brewing again, then a few months later found a few bottles in the back of a closet and it was heavenly...
Anyways, after that, we started brewing more, and I built up my equipment and have done a few solo batches now.
While I was deployed with the Marines, we tried making pruno a few times, the taste was too bad to even try getting drunk, so out that went.

Looking forward to hearing your stories

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I moved from a place with good beer selection to a place with crappy selection and now I make my own.

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 02-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I originally started brewing for a similar reason as humann. It was just easier for me to get good beer by making it myself. I would also say it's been cheaper than good craft beer at the store, but after a kegerator, brew stand equipment, stirplate, and the list goes on, SWMBO would disagree. Anyways, I now brew because I love not only the finished product, but I genuinely love everything about the process.

J

Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
Prime
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had some friends that brewed in college and that got me interested. My fiancee (now wife) got me an equipment kit for my birthday right before I graduated and I haven't looked back.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #5
cfox109
Recipes 

I started because i took a tour of the Stone Brewery and the tour cuide basically told me how easy it is to brew beer. So I went home and looked up how to brew beer and found lots of stuff to help me. I'm a "do it yourself-er," so I thought of it as a challange to see how good of beer I can brew and also the cost savings in my head were a little factor.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
boneshb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have used the same 'reasoning' to convince SWMBO that it will be cheaper than the good beer I want to drink. I guess I have kept prices down by building most of my equipment and use cash to keep SWMBO off my back

Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

A guy I work with challanged me to a contest. We would make a batch of beer and see who got their clone closer to the beer we had selected.

I worked at Deschutes Brewery for 6 years, and for some reason never got into it then. I was in the kitchen but I hung out with all the brewers.

And I didn't realize how hard that brewing bug was going to bite, but when it did I realized I was hooked. Did 3 batches in the first 8 days and only stopped there as I didn't have space to put anymore fermenters.

I used to have another 'Home Made' type of hobby in the house but it wasn't as legal as Home Brewing but just as fun and rewarding. I missed that and even thought of doing so again only legally this time in Oregon. Would have been a little bit of a hassle but I enjoyed the hobby.

Home Brewing solves all of that for me. It's a great hobby that keeps me around the house and I can tell my mother about my brews! It's working out great for me!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
Grimster
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My brother in law made some and it was good, as good as the beer I've been paying $7-12 per 6 pack for, so decided to give it a shot myself. So far so good!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I did it for the chics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
luvhopps

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I started because I became an educated drinker, and learned to appreciate the finer qualities of a real beer.

Quick Reply