The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why did you start brewing?

View Poll Results: Why did you start Home Brewing?
To save money 14 11.67%
Access varieties you can't obtain locally 22 18.33%
You were fascinated by the hobby/ It seemed fun 91 75.83%
The pride of making your own brew 62 51.67%
To obtain a fresher/more natural product 21 17.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #51
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Yeah, they do that in the toilets in prison, too. Mmm...prison toilet cab sauv. I hear 2004 was a great vintage!
Read about pruno... Awesome...if you like the taste of vomit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 03:30 PM   #52
BrewmanBeing
Recipes 

I started brewing to get beer underage. Thus, I cannot take this poll since that isn't a listed option.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:36 PM   #53
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewmanBeing
I started brewing to get beer underage. Thus, I cannot take this poll since that isn't a listed option.
Don't look now, but the feds are coming up your walk...

Old 10-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #54
BrewmanBeing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewpastor
Don't look now, but the feds are coming up your walk...
Yeah, I am really sure they care. I think there must be some kind of rule of thumb in law that if a kid is bright enough to figure out how to brew their own, they get to drink it.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #55
G. Cretin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My SWMBO said she wanted to brew some beer last Oct. I haven't stopped since.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #56
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I bought my buddy a beginner's kit for Christmas in 1996 because I thought homebrewing sounded like a kick-ass hobby, and my buddy definately needed a hobby.

He made a couple batches of vinegar and evenutally gave the gear back to me less than a year later. I promptly put it to use.

-walker

Old 10-12-2006, 04:10 AM   #57
wup
Recipes 

Well, I started to save money, considering (drinkable) beer, starts at $40 a case up here in Ontario, Canada. I went to a brew on premise(which are quite popular here), paid them $90(for 15 gallons), and they said come back in 2 weeks to bottle. I did that, and the beer was udder crap, it tasted like drinking sugar water.
A trip to google found me this site, and after a month of reading I made my first batch. Bottled the first batch, and then started looking for kegging equipment. About a week and a half ago, my second batch went into the kegerator, last friday we tapped into it, and now its almost gone and I have nothing in the fermentors . So this weekend batch #3 and #4 are coming up

lol, I sorta went off topic there but oh well

Wup

P.S. Is there something wrong with me if I poor my self a pint when I make a trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night?

Old 10-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #58
Rhoobarb

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got into it in a real 'start & stop' way, so my story is kind of lengthy. I hope I don’t bore anybody with it!

When I got into high school in the mid-1970s a big hobby at that time was beer can collecting. I became a collector and just liked looking at all the different types of beers. All the great artwork, far-away little towns I’d never heard of where some of them were brewed. Most of the brands were gone or in the process of being driven out of business and I was just fascinated with them. I still have some of those cans today! I think I was always destined to do something beer-related, even though my parents weren’t beer drinkers.

Anyway, by the time I got into college, the legal age for beer & wine was 19 and I took full advantage of it! The summer after my freshman year, a buddy (and fellow beer can collector) decided he wanted to try his hand at brewing beer after reading an article about it. Unlike me, he came from a family of substantial beer drinkers. He talked me into joining him. We bought stuff from an LHBS, brewed two lackluster batches that summer and that was that. The equipment gathered dust in my parent's basement and we went back to school.

In the 1980s, after we had all left college, he got the equipment out of our basement, joined a homebrew club and made some very good beers. Still, I didn’t get the bug for brewing.

Jump forward to the mid-1990s. Micros were booming and I was getting a real appreciation for beer, due in part to a one-year subscription to Beer Across America, given to me by my girlfriend at the time – who hated beer. Remembering my college brewing ‘fling’, I started toying with the idea of brewing my own. I read through a couple of issues of Zymurgy at the library and got a copy Papazian’s second book (not the Complete Joy – mistake #1) and thought about brewing for two years.

By 1997, the girlfriend was history and my buddy had stopped brewing. But me - I was chomping at the bit to get started! I picked up a copy of Homebrewing For Dummies, read it cover to cover twice and my buddy gave me all of his old equipment. Amongst it was one of our original plastic buckets, which I still have today. I haven’t looked back since. I got into AG brewing in July, 2005.

Last edited by Rhoobarb; 10-13-2006 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply