New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why did they (commercial breweries) build such large complexes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
dpalme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Why did they (commercial breweries) build such large complexes

I was in the twin cities this past weekend visiting my wonderful daughter when we happened to stop by the old Hamms / Stroh's brewery facility so I could take some pictures of the old complex.

Most micro breweries and even some larger ones seem to not spread their operation out over several buildings or in the case of the old Hamms or Bud facilities no less than a dozen buildings. I'm just wondering why its so spread out or is it just that's the way they did it back then?

I know the old Milwaukee brewery that's been shut down is similar, spans several blocks.

Take the home brewer, we do it all in a space about the size of a large walkin closet. I know our volume is lower, but I still am fascinated with the large complexes of days gone by.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones

Recipes 

Liked 1656 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

Older machinery was larger & simpler. So they needed more of them to do all the jobs necessary to complete brewing,bottling,etc. Modern machinery is smaller & more complex.Same thing with the auto industry.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Brewmech
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Older machinery was larger & simpler. So they needed more of them to do all the jobs necessary to complete brewing,bottling,etc. Modern machinery is smaller & more complex.Same thing with the auto industry.
Pretty much this. Businesses don't always have the luxury to expand in the most efficient manner either when you have to keep the product moving without an interruption.

Quick Reply