Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why is clear beer "better" than cloudy beer?
View Poll Results: How do you prefer your beer to look?
Crystal Clear 53 48.62%
Cloudy 1 0.92%
Don't care as long as it's beer. 55 50.46%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #11
bizarrojosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Thanks for the replies. I can see now how visuals are just as important as taste. I love my ceramic mugs, tulips, and goblets and I'm not sure I can give those up. But I may get some glass so I can check on clarity and enjoy the bubbles and lacing from time to time.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It's also interesting that as of right now no one prefers cloudy beer yet. 10 people don't have a preference, but it seems that they would choose clear beer over cloudy beer. Is it that clear beer is seen as "good" beer? Does anyone find cloudy beer to be more aesthetically pleasing than clear beer?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #13
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Generally, I find that a brewer that can achieve adequate clarity on a style requiring such, will also have the skills/knowledge to make it an overall great beer in other respects as well. It's not just for looks; it's an indication.

Is it always indicative of a great beer? Of course not. The first whiff and sip will confirm or deny that assumption.

1. Ger Pils 2. Ger Pils 3. Lambic 4. Lambic 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. Ger Pils 3. Ger Pils 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Chocolate Milk Stout, Oktoberfest (lagering), Pale Ale x2

Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

It also depends on the type of beer. Some are not supposed to be crystal clear.
A slight haze doesn't bother me but I wouldn't want my pale ales looking like milk!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRonco

blasphemy! :-)
Oh god. There goes another one....

Old 11-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 21

We eat with our eyes. Seeing a crystal clear beer before taking a sip influences our perception of the beer. I just hit one of our local breweries yesterday and had their new Belgian Cellar beer (what they call their Trappist style). It was cloudy to the point where it looked more like apple cider than beer, completely opaque. It tasted good, but I can't help but think if it had been clear I would have perceived it as being better. I brewed what was supposed to be a red IIPA but I went way too heavy handed on the roasted malts and ended up with what could best be described as a "murky lake water" IIPA. It tasted good, but that so clouded my impression of it that it's one of my least favorite of my own beers. I've modified the recipe for the next go around and I should end up with a much better visual representation of what I was going for and I figure that will improve my personal outlook on it.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #17
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 542

I made a 100+ ibu IPA, that I drank really young. (yeast still in suspension, I think) It was cloudy, but it was also one of the best beers I've ever had to drink. I didnt care that it was cloudy, It was only my second time brewing, and could not believe it tasted soo damn good!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
Wynne-R
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 76

A while back I noticed homebrews that were in the refrigerator three days or more had better head. Tiny bubbles and better head retention. I thought it was the carbonation, but when I started cold crashing it all got better.

My new theory is that the particles in suspension provide nucleation sites for carbon dioxide, allowing the beer to go flat more quickly.

Better head makes better beer. The bubbles push the aroma and the flavor.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #19
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here is a neat subject that I like to talk about. My FAVORITE beer glass is a doubble walled tumbler made of glass. Sure it will keep my beer cold for longer than a pint but the REAL cool thing that it does, is allow me to test for clarity without the glass condensation/fogging up. I can VERY accurately test the clarity and SRM at the same time.

When I am not drinking from one of those I have a double walled stainless steel tankard then into some standard barware stuff.

IMO if the beer isn't clear I normally can taste yeast bite which IMO is unpleasant. (Yes there are exceptions to that.)

Is it important to me? kinda. Is it going to make me loose mind? No more than reading CD3 threads.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #20
Behemoth
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamial View Post
Here is a neat subject that I like to talk about. My FAVORITE beer glass is a doubble walled tumbler made of glass. Sure it will keep my beer cold for longer than a pint but the REAL cool thing that it does, is allow me to test for clarity without the glass condensation/fogging up. I can VERY accurately test the clarity and SRM at the same time.

When I am not drinking from one of those I have a double walled stainless steel tankard then into some standard barware stuff.

IMO if the beer isn't clear I normally can taste yeast bite which IMO is unpleasant. (Yes there are exceptions to that.)

Is it important to me? kinda. Is it going to make me loose mind? No more than reading CD3 threads.
I too like to drink from a clear glass, a pint, a pilsner, hell a mason jar. I know I like to see THE beer. I like a clear IPA and a cloudy Hefe, who doesn't. When a brew is cloudy/muddy from yeast suspension, hell yea it will effect taste. I cant wait for my corney kegged Pale ale to hit somewhere about halfway because thats right around the spot when the yeast starts to clear out and the beer takes on a cleaner taste profile where I can pick out the hops and malt character that I'm trying to perfect.

"Don’t be afraid to let your freak-flag fly and put the “mental” in “experimental”.
-Sam Calagione

Quick Reply