Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why Brite Tank?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff897 View Post
They are not the size of the fermenters.
Read with comprehension
If I don't understand what you've written, write with clarity.

BBTs can be any size. They can be exactly the same size as fermenters. They can be smaller. They can be immensely larger. In one brewpub for which I brewed, the brewhouse was 3.5bbl. There were two 4bbl conicals and four 8bbl. There were four 7bbl serving tanks and four 3.5bbl serving tanks. If BBTs are not the size of fermenters, they're only slightly smaller. A conical labeled "3.5bbl" is going to hold more than 4bbl in total volume, because you need headroom for krauesen. A BBT labeled "3.5bbl" is probably actually 3.5bbl, because it's holding liquid that isn't going to produce several dozen cubic meters of brown, scummy foam; you don't need the headroom.

Think about it for a second. Ever seen a Corny keg? Ever seen a beer bottle? They don't undergo any different pressures than a BBT. Again, you're trying to logic your way around something about which you have no practical experience.

Unlike you, I know all this from experience, having spent the past decade in the brewing business. Rather than get snippy, just listen and learn. Then when you have something to teach me, I'll return the favor.

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2010, 01:42 AM   #12
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Oh snap, no he didn't

Old 03-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #13
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I also wonder if BBT (being that they are usually cylinders) are cheaper than the cylindro-conical fermenters? Perhaps another reason why you would prefer to have the BBT vs pushing the filtered beer into another fermenter.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:46 AM   #14
Brewbarb
Recipes 

We have 300 bbl. cylindro-conical fermenters that we use as bright tanks for the beer we don't filter. We brew the beer then bottle right from the fermenter. The fermenter costs more but it saves time.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #15
TomHanx
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Sorry- I know this is a pretty old thread but I had a related question.

so you could use the conical fermenters though like this for carbonating safely as long as you say add a pressure relief valve of some sort in case it goes above 30 psi or so?..

Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #16
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
I'm lucky enough to have a winemaking store near me that will rent me a small, pump-drive plate-and-frame filter for an afteroon. I assemble and sanitize the machine, connect the filter's input line to the output of my fermenter, the filter's output to the input of a keg, then turn the filter on. In only slightly more time than it takes me to merely transfer, I've got star-bright beer. Then it's connect the gas and carbonate. I can be drinking that beer the same day I filter it.Bob
Like a Buon Vino Mini-Jet filter?

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #17
SkinnyShamrock
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can carbonate in a conical, you can carbonate anywhere. It's just that in commercial breweries, fermenters are for fermenting beer, they don't have the time/tank space to keep beer in a fermenter unless it's fermenting (at Troegs we don't, anyway). And they also need a tank to filter beer to. Bottling/kegging off of a fermenter gets messy, too, because there's a whole ton of yeast at the bottom, so package off the racking arm? Then you'd have to spin it around once the level of beer drops below it's inlet, and then you'd have to purge yeast out of it again...see the problem? It's complicated. It's just plain easier to use a flat-bottom tank to package out of.

Jeff, Brewer, Troegs Brewing Company, Harrisburg, PA

"RDWHAHB, right?"
"No, just do it right, damnit!"

Old 09-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
BriceBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was told by my local brewery that their brite tank serves double duty as their post-filtration vessel and their tax vessel. It's been verified at a certain volume and so they use it for tax purposes. Plus as has been stated upthread the quicker beer is transferred out of the fermenter the faster they can brew more. In a small brewery constantly butting up against max capacity that's a critical reason to use a brite tank all on it's own.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post

You can do the same process at home. Northern Brewer (and other outlets) sell rough-polish filtration systems where CO2 pressure is used to push finished beer from one keg through a filter to another. Many amateur brewers scoff at filtration. I don't. I think the visual presentation is important, and I don't have the patience to let all my beers drop bright through patience; I don't get to brew as much as I'd like.

Bob
I tied filtering, IIRC I was running it through 60um and then a .22um I grabbed from work. Worked great but did nothing for the common problem most home brewers run into: chill haze.

The only thing that cures chill haze is patience and by then everything settles out anyway while cold crashing...So I stopped wasting time and money on filtering.

And yes I could taste a difference, the filtered beer had less aroma. My CCed beers look crystal clear.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #20
meatwad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriceBrewer View Post
I was told by my local brewery that their brite tank serves double duty as their post-filtration vessel and their tax vessel. It's been verified at a certain volume and so they use it for tax purposes. .
Would you mind explaining the tax benefits in detail? I don't really understand this part of it...seems to be worth exploring.

Quick Reply