Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why Brite Tank?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
alcibiades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default Why Brite Tank?

Why do breweries use brite tanks? Why can't they just pressurize the fermenter after fermentation is done to carbonate the beer and then fill bottles/kegs directly from the fermenter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Temperature is a concern. Your typical fermenter needs to run at 68-72, while you want your beer at 32 to get it to carb up properly. Additionally, commercial beer is meant to be as clear as possible, so the brite tank can be post filtration. Mostly, though, they're meant to be cold and hold pressure.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I beleive also the brite tank was a less complicated vessel so likely cheaper than the fermentor. By adding a brite tank for conditioning, it freed up the fermentor for another batch of beer without having to invest in additional fermentors.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

This (10 char)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
it freed up the fermentor for another batch of beer without having to invest in additional fermentors.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Because most breweries don't let beer drop bright in the fermenter. They filter it, with either DE or sheets. You have to have a tank for the filtered beer to go into. Since the filtered beer is "bright beer", the receiving tank is a "bright beer tank". Once the beer is in the bright tank, it's carbonated then packaged.

Some breweries do achieve a certain amount of carbonation in the conical through the use of spunding valves.

In brewpubs the bright beer tanks do double-duty as serving vessels.

You can do the same process at home. Northern Brewer (and other outlets) sell rough-polish filtration systems where CO2 pressure is used to push finished beer from one keg through a filter to another. Many amateur brewers scoff at filtration. I don't. I think the visual presentation is important, and I don't have the patience to let all my beers drop bright through patience; I don't get to brew as much as I'd like. My Classic American Pilsner, for example, needs to be absolutely star-bright for me to be satisfied with it. I don't want to lager it for months and months, so I filter it through 5-micron sheets.

I'm lucky enough to have a winemaking store near me that will rent me a small, pump-drive plate-and-frame filter for an afteroon. I assemble and sanitize the machine, connect the filter's input line to the output of my fermenter, the filter's output to the input of a keg, then turn the filter on. In only slightly more time than it takes me to merely transfer, I've got star-bright beer. Then it's connect the gas and carbonate. I can be drinking that beer the same day I filter it.

Yum.

Anyhow, that's what a bright tank does in a commercial brewery.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 03-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well if no other reason motivated them I should think the enormous stored energies from any pressurization would be a serious limiting factor.

The load that One PSI would produce on a vessel surface of a paltry 1000 Sq inches is a thousand pounds. The fermenters are huge, so they have a hell of a lot of square inches. Trying to build a vessel as large as a commercial fermenter that can be rated for even a lousy few PSI would be a crippling cost undertaking.

It'd have to be like three inches thick. More probably, and reinforced with external buttressing.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Don't overthink this, Cliff.

Many BBTs are single-wall stainless. They're not three inches thick. They're sheet-metal welded together. Some of them hold 300bbl.

They usually have 30psi pressure-relief valves, though, so they don't exceed a safe load.

Bob

Brewmaster
Fort Christian Brewpub
St Croix, US Virgin Islands

Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

THat and the fermentation chambers are 'premium' space so they want those constantly in production, not sitting and clearing or being carb'd. The brite tanks are very basic holding vessels.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #9
Cliff897
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Don't overthink this, Cliff.

Many BBTs are single-wall stainless. They're not three inches thick. They're sheet-metal welded together. Some of them hold 300bbl.

They usually have 30psi pressure-relief valves, though, so they don't exceed a safe load.

Bob
They are not the size of the fermenters.
Read with comprehension

Old 03-06-2010, 02:44 AM   #10
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff897 View Post
They are not the size of the fermenters.
Read with comprehension
I don't understand your point. Most BBTs are bigger than the fermenters that feed them. So breweries are force carbonating beer in tanks of similar construction and larger than their fermenters.

Quick Reply