New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why bringing beer to your LHBS guy before noon is not a good idea...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Default Why bringing beer to your LHBS guy before noon is not a good idea...

...."Whoops, I gave you 5 ounces of aromatic instead of the 1.5 on your recipe."

He did like my beer, and didn't charge me of some of the malts in the grain bill, and gave me an empty Belgian bottle to see if I want him to order me some for my saison.

So it's not all bad....plus I could walk to it and back by the water. And with any luck he will be moving his shop right across the street from my loft, and opening a bigger one with a combined brew and wine or premises.

Life isn't bad today...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you take it to Cap n Cork? I have thought about taking a couple bottles in there before to get some feedback, but I wasn't sure if this was frowned upon or not....

Old 07-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This one reason I buy my specialty malts, unmilled and bagged separately. I usually buy enough for several batches so I get to weigh out what I need when I need it.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Did you take it to Cap n Cork? I have thought about taking a couple bottles in there before to get some feedback, but I wasn't sure if this was frowned upon or not....
No this wasn't cap n cork, this was the small LHBS here in Port Huron...he has a limited selection, but it's handy.

I have taken bottles to cap n cork in the past...It is definitely NOT frowned upon...in fact I believe that may have, back when there was a hop shortage, been one of the reasons why they would often not enforce their # ounces/recipe rules, they had at the time towards me.

Or when I have walked in and been invited back to the kitchen to sample whatever beers they had in their fridge.

Definitely bring them beers....but make sure the grain bill is filled BEFORE they drink them...

Good idea about separate packages for the other grains ED.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Definitely bring them beers....but make sure the grain bill is filled BEFORE they drink them...
What if you are the fifth customer of the morning to bring them samples? I guess you have to be waiting at the door when they open. Of course with one of my LHBS, the guy looks like he is in the tank from the get go. Don't trust them much for any recipes or weighing/crushing.... just buy bulk now from another source.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
This one reason I buy my specialty malts, unmilled and bagged separately. I usually buy enough for several batches so I get to weigh out what I need when I need it.
+1, this should be SOP. I buy things like Special B, Aromatic, Caravienne, Caramunich, Biscuit and Chocolate 5# at a time. It may take me a while to go through them, but I know that I always have some in stock when I need them.

Last edited by ohiobrewtus; 07-03-2009 at 07:30 PM.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
fishkid
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
No this wasn't cap n cork, this was the small LHBS here in Port Huron...he has a limited selection, but it's handy.

I have taken bottles to cap n cork in the past...It is definitely NOT frowned upon...in fact I believe that may have, back when there was a hop shortage, been one of the reasons why they would often not enforce their # ounces/recipe rules, they had at the time towards me.

Or when I have walked in and been invited back to the kitchen to sample whatever beers they had in their fridge.

Good idea about separate packages for the other grains ED.
Sounds like you had a great trip Rev.

On another note, thanks for the tip on bringing homebrew up to cap n cork, I've gotten my ingredients there a couple of times and the staff is always great. They're always up for helping out and shooting the bull.

Curt

Old 07-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
Rubberband
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Was it Eastern Shores? I use them sometimes but I always call ahead. He's a nice enough guy, I didn't know that a bottle of beer would open some many doors.

zum Wohl

"A man who carries a cat by the tail, learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Old 07-04-2009, 02:41 AM   #9
944play
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
...."Whoops, I gave you 5 ounces of aromatic instead of the 1.5 on your recipe."
Can't happen at my LHBS - it's a weigh-and-mill-it-yourself place.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I feel like it's a part of the brewing etiquette - I always bring a bottle along when I'm buying ingredients for the next batch (gentle plug for quality LHBS: BYOB in Havertown, PA). It's kind of amazing how you can drink a couple of bottles at 9:00 PM and not feel a thing, but drink a couple ounces at 11:00 AM and feel a mild buzz.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Quick Reply