Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why is beer boiling out of bottle when opened

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013, 12:25 AM   #21
ballsy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman1036 View Post
I was never good at bottling. I had the same junk happen. I would measure out the sugar precisely, protect against infection, ferment until every possible sign showed the coast was clear. Then I would bottle, 4 weeks later the beer was great, then 2 months later the carb levels would start creeping up until they started gushing. I would come on the site here and mention my issue, people would ask if I fermented long enough. Then mention if I was keeping everything sanitized. I would then review all this things I was doing that seemed correct. Then after going through all those steps, I would end by popping the caps off the last half of the batch and dumping it down the drain. Then repeat.

You know how I fixed my problem? Started kegging. Now my beers sit in kegs for months with no signs of infection, at the carb levels I want. A little gelatin makes them nice and clear. So happy, thanks kegconnection
I've been home brewing now for about 3 years, and I've had the same time same problem number of times. Especially with the kits that I bought from Northern Brewer I find that the sugar they recommend priming with is too much if you're going to wait 2 months or longer before you finish off the beer. I started using my own carbonation levels which is closer to about 2.7-3.3 oz of corn sugar for priming. I don't achieve the same carbonation levels that might be desired for different styles, but I never get bottle bombs, the bottles are never overflowing when I open them, and there's still enough carbonation so that the flavor is still exactly what I'm looking for.

Kegging is cost prohibitive for me right now, so that's not an option.[/QUOTE]

Ditto....Same problem with me, was using almost all 4.5 oz priming sugar packs that came with kits. Then I bought a scale and I shoot for pretty low co2 vol leading to low to mid 3 oz amts and the carb now comes out perfect for me and no more pouring a glass full of foam...

Primary#1: Deadringer AG
Primary#2: Empty
Primary#3:
On deck: BM's Centennial Blonde, Janet's Brown
Keg 1:Empty
Keg 2:Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #22
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I noticed this kit has 8oz of maltodextrine, could you have possibly mixed up the priming sugar and malto?

Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

Old 11-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #23
skipper1953
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Get the remaining bottles as cold as you can without freezing them to minimize foaming. Pop the caps off of 2 to 4 bottles and immediately recap them in the same order that you opened them. Don't let them foam over for too long before getting a cap back on them or you will loose too much carbonation and beer. You will most likely need to rinse them off or they will be sticky. You will no doubt have a bit more head space in the bottles but since you will be capping on foam, you should not have any problem with oxidation.

(edit) Unless you have good reason to beleive your beer is infected, there is absolutely no reason to dump any of it down the drain.

Use whatever protective equipment you think you need. At the very least, wear safety goggles to protect your eyes.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 AM   #24
TimelessCynic
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amishbrewing
the first batch I made was a 1.056 OG and a FG of 1.014. The second batch was an OG of 1.060 and a FG of 1.022. I used the package of priming sugar that came with the Brewers Best box kit in both. I didn't write the amount down but am pretty sure it was 8oz. The bottles were in the fridge for a week or so before opening. Not sure about the couple I gave out. They were happy with the flavor,body, and color of the beer. Just the extra foam was the only concern.
Your beer was not done fermenting. Your final gravity is much too high. Also you used twice as much bottling sugar as other suggest. Open the beers carefully then recap them
And see in a couple says what they are like.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #25
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Beer that hasn't reached final gravity shouldn't be bottled with priming sugar. At least multiple days of stable gravity before bottling is necessary to prevent this. 5oz of priming sugar in a 5 gallon (finished, racked to bottling bucket volume) batch will yield between 2.8 and 2.9 vol CO2 in a batch of beer at around 60°F. If that weight of sugar causes gushers you have:
1)bottled a beer that isn't finished fermenting.
2)bottled a beer that has a stable gravity with an infection.
3)bottled a beer with incorrectly measured priming sugar.
4)not chilled your beer long enough in the refrigerator to make the CO2 get absorbed in the beer.
Longer time in bottle (2 months) won't cause overcarbonation unless your beer hasn't reached FG or it is infected with a bug that will take some time to ferment the sugars/dextrins that your yeast hasn't been able to ferment.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
Amishbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begin2Brew View Post
I noticed this kit has 8oz of maltodextrine, could you have possibly mixed up the priming sugar and malto?
No I made it the right way. When using the kit I would always seperate the priming sugar from the rest of the ingrediants

Old 11-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
Tekn0ph1sh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah Your really don't need to secondary a good stout. Its black/brown. You can't see any haze or clarity anyways. My last stout I let sit in the primary for 4 weeks before bottling. I still have had a few gushers. Have you had any non gushers or does every one you open spew forth foamy goodness. With stouts it is hard to tell when you should stop bottling and leave some to the beer gods. I bet you pulled a little trub in some of the bottles towards the end and those are the bottles you have been drinking. I usually let my bottles chill for at least a week, upright and open them over the sink with a couple of glasses or a pitcher just as a precaution. I also usually bottle my stouts in flip top bottles that i can quickly recap should I see any trouble from it. Well at least I did…I moved on to kegging so I don't really worry about it anymore.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #28
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 117

How is trub going to cause gushers, aside providing more nucleation points?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I've been seeing this with several of my recent stout recipes and it's starting to piss me off to be honest.

My beer prime for 3 weeks minimum, bigger beers 4 weeks.

Usually 4 - 4.3 oz of table sugar is what I use for my stouts.

Last batch was a big breakfast stout 8.3% and it too starts to foam over upon opening a bottle.

I've had this happen to a few other beers that were fine for months then bam, they all did it out of the blue. Had others do it right from the start after 3 weeks of carbonating.

My fix for this is go .5 oz or up to 1oz less of priming sugar for any beer with a recommended amount of sugar at 4oz or more. I'll let it sit longer to carb and so what if it's not fully carbed it's carbed enough for me and I'm tired of volcano beers. Especially stouts, they can dam near be flat and still be good.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 11-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #30
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123 View Post
Some folks just like using the secondary process. I don't, but there are some learned folks here that swear by them.

I was never good at bottling. I had the same junk happen. I would measure out the sugar precisely, protect against infection, ferment until every possible sign showed the coast was clear. Then I would bottle, 4 weeks later the beer was great, then 2 months later the carb levels would start creeping up until they started gushing. I would come on the site here and mention my issue, people would ask if I fermented long enough. Then mention if I was keeping everything sanitized. I would then review all this things I was doing that seemed correct. Then after going through all those steps, I would end by popping the caps off the last half of the batch and dumping it down the drain. Then repeat.

You know how I fixed my problem? Started kegging. Now my beers sit in kegs for months with no signs of infection, at the carb levels I want. A little gelatin makes them nice and clear. So happy, thanks kegconnection
Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgewaterBrewer View Post
A small amount of wild yeast or bacteria in the bottles would explain it. They'll carb fine after a fee weeks but if you leave them at room temp they gradually overcarb and drop down to say 1.010 or 1.005. Refrigerate if possible after 3 wks to preserve the beer and keep from over carbing. Of course some beers need to age longer than that but in that case you need to be more careful with sanitation and priming. Definitely use an online priming calculator that takes into account the temp of the beer.
This answers the first quote--bottle were fine but got a little gusher bug in them. I had this problem with a few batches, so I started bleach soaking bottles for a few days after use instead of brushing them (which sometimes left a yeast residue or ring around neck). I also starting taking apart my bottling spigot to clean it better before sanitizing.
#8 Corks in Belgian Bottles Hold Carbonation
Increasing Pipeline Diversity
On Deck: Hefeweizen yeast experiment with 3068, T-58, and 3711
Youtube Channel on Homebrewing
Youtube Channel on Pipe Smoking
pdxal Likes This 

Quick Reply