The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why is beer boiling out of bottle when opened

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
Cider123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A good rule of thumb is the FG remaining the same for 3 days in a row. I don't even bother popping the lid on the fermenter until 3 weeks go by. The 3 week rule usually works for me.

Also, when measuring dry goods like sugar in oz, you need to measure with a scale and not a measuring cup. For example, a cup of liquid is 8 oz, but if you measure out a cup of sugar and put it on a scale it will only weigh about 4 oz.

It seems like your going to keep going with the bottles you have. That is your choice, but again, you need to be really careful with bottles that have so much carb that they gush foamy beer when you pop the cap. Refrigeration will slow carbonation but not stop it, and it won't remove the pressure that has already built up in the bottles.

Have you ever seen bottles that explode? Shards of glass go everywhere, including being embedded in the walls. Not to mention the beer that soaks your carpet and dries before you notice it. We have all been there, but luckily most have not been around when one goes in your face. Good luck.

I like beer

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
McGlothan
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Racking to secondary at 6 days seems very early. I also use the 3 week rule for primary if I am going to do a secondary. I usually give my beers a month or more in primary if I am not doing a secondary. Of course time depends on OG and what style of beer you are making. FG will stabilize and stop dropping when your beer is done, but most beers develop with age beyond the time it takes to just fully ferment. Patience and temperature control are the first two things that have improved my beer ten fold. Its difficult to wait but well worth it!

Old 11-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Amishbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

One good thing is there is no carpet in the house for beer to soak into. Also I keep the bottles in the box they came in so if anything were to happen any possible shards would be better contained in the box. I use a secondary fermenter to for clarity of the beer. I have roughly 10 of these left and will be very careful with them. This beer was my 5th one made and so far has been the only problem one. At first there was no problem just within the last 2 months it became problematic. Thanks for all your comments and advice

Old 11-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #14
fergusmj
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I bottled a chocolate milk stout and have a similar issue. The brewers best packets are 5 oz of sugar and I assume this was too much. I wonder if the head retention from the stout being a thicker beer could be the issue? over carbed but the head doesn't "pop"? Mine open fine, but after a minute or two, it will start foaming over the bottle. I did 2 week primary and 2 week secondary. I know the 5oz pack was overkill for the stout. Mine had been refridgerated for a week before opening when this happened as well. Beer is good, but way too much head. probably a 1/4 beer and 3/4 head when poured in a glass.

So far....knock on wood, I haven't had any bottle bombs either. It's been about 2 months since I bottled and they've been sittin in my pantry closet except for the ones I've put in the fridge.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

It doesn't sound like you're adding cherry puree or anything. So why, pray tell, are you guys racking stouts into a secondary?

Old 11-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
It doesn't sound like you're adding cherry puree or anything. So why, pray tell, are you guys racking stouts into a secondary?
Some folks just like using the secondary process. I don't, but there are some learned folks here that swear by them.

I was never good at bottling. I had the same junk happen. I would measure out the sugar precisely, protect against infection, ferment until every possible sign showed the coast was clear. Then I would bottle, 4 weeks later the beer was great, then 2 months later the carb levels would start creeping up until they started gushing. I would come on the site here and mention my issue, people would ask if I fermented long enough. Then mention if I was keeping everything sanitized. I would then review all this things I was doing that seemed correct. Then after going through all those steps, I would end by popping the caps off the last half of the batch and dumping it down the drain. Then repeat.

You know how I fixed my problem? Started kegging. Now my beers sit in kegs for months with no signs of infection, at the carb levels I want. A little gelatin makes them nice and clear. So happy, thanks kegconnection

I like beer

Old 11-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 526 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
If for no other reason, to free up primary fermenter space for the next batch.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
FatDragon Likes This 
Old 11-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #18
saxman1036
Recipes 

I was never good at bottling. I had the same junk happen. I would measure out the sugar precisely, protect against infection, ferment until every possible sign showed the coast was clear. Then I would bottle, 4 weeks later the beer was great, then 2 months later the carb levels would start creeping up until they started gushing. I would come on the site here and mention my issue, people would ask if I fermented long enough. Then mention if I was keeping everything sanitized. I would then review all this things I was doing that seemed correct. Then after going through all those steps, I would end by popping the caps off the last half of the batch and dumping it down the drain. Then repeat.

You know how I fixed my problem? Started kegging. Now my beers sit in kegs for months with no signs of infection, at the carb levels I want. A little gelatin makes them nice and clear. So happy, thanks kegconnection[/QUOTE]

I've been home brewing now for about 3 years, and I've had the same time same problem number of times. Especially with the kits that I bought from Northern Brewer I find that the sugar they recommend priming with is too much if you're going to wait 2 months or longer before you finish off the beer. I started using my own carbonation levels which is closer to about 2.7-3.3 oz of corn sugar for priming. I don't achieve the same carbonation levels that might be desired for different styles, but I never get bottle bombs, the bottles are never overflowing when I open them, and there's still enough carbonation so that the flavor is still exactly what I'm looking for.

Kegging is cost prohibitive for me right now, so that's not an option.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #19
BridgewaterBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 115

A small amount of wild yeast or bacteria in the bottles would explain it. They'll carb fine after a fee weeks but if you leave them at room temp they gradually overcarb and drop down to say 1.010 or 1.005. Refrigerate if possible after 3 wks to preserve the beer and keep from over carbing. Of course some beers need to age longer than that but in that case you need to be more careful with sanitation and priming. Definitely use an online priming calculator that takes into account the temp of the beer.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #20
Amishbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
I rack it over to make for a clearer finished product. That and I can get another batch started

Quick Reply