Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why is beer boiling out of bottle when opened

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Amishbrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Why is beer boiling out of bottle when opened

A few months ago I brewed an Oatmeal Stout. After bottle conditioning and then sitting for a while in the pantry I opened one. It was really foamy and seemed to keep boiling out of the bottle. I had given several out to friends and they said the same thing. Did I bottle it a little too soon? Is this a sign of over carbonation? I didn't have any bottle bombs, (which is good). I had made this same beer before and had no issues. I did make it a little different when i steeped the grains but overall it was made the same way. Only did one gravity reading before bottling. My theory is there was just a little bit too much fermentables when I added the priming sugar. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"I didn't have any bottle bombs"

Famous last words. Amish, you are about to. Time to start uncapping those bottles while wearing a bike helmet and mask. Seriously!!! You beer is overcarbed and may continue until the bottles start to explode. We can talk about why later, but for now, you are in a serious situation. I would tell the folks you gave bottles to discard them carefully.

I like beer

Old 11-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 460 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amishbrewing
A few months ago I brewed an Oatmeal Stout. After bottle conditioning and then sitting for a while in the pantry I opened one. It was really foamy and seemed to keep boiling out of the bottle. I had given several out to friends and they said the same thing. Did I bottle it a little too soon? Is this a sign of over carbonation? I didn't have any bottle bombs, (which is good). I had made this same beer before and had no issues. I did make it a little different when i steeped the grains but overall it was made the same way. Only did one gravity reading before bottling. My theory is there was just a little bit too much fermentables when I added the priming sugar. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
could be over primed, could be infected, maybe fermentation wasn't complete. OG/FG?

Were they fridged for some time before opening? Process? Amount of priming sugar used? Need some more info.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Boiling?

Sounds like you have a "gusher".

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 11-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
Amishbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

the first batch I made was a 1.056 OG and a FG of 1.014. The second batch was an OG of 1.060 and a FG of 1.022. I used the package of priming sugar that came with the Brewers Best box kit in both. I didn't write the amount down but am pretty sure it was 8oz. The bottles were in the fridge for a week or so before opening. Not sure about the couple I gave out. They were happy with the flavor,body, and color of the beer. Just the extra foam was the only concern.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Im guessing this is a 5 gallon batch? 8oz is way too much priming sugar. For my higher carbed brews (2.5-2.7 volumes of C02), ill use a little over 4oz. Definitely open them all and proceed with caution.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Is this gushing problem after they've sat in the fridge for a few hours or warm?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Amishbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not sure on the size of the package. Could have been 4 oz of priming sugar. This is for a 5 gallon batch. I had the bottles in the fridge for a few days up to a week before opening. So they were chilled. I will put another one in the fridge for a few days and see what happens

Old 11-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
McGlothan
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Was your FG stable before you bottled? How long did this beer go before bottling? Also, how long in the bottle before you put them in the fridge?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Amishbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this on May 5 2013. Racked to secondary May 11. Bottled May 27. Placed in closet for 2-3 weeks before I put a couple in the fridge. Seemed ok at the time. It was after a couple months that I opened another bottle and that's when I got the gusher. Didn't make sure of stabiity first. I won't make that mistake again.

Quick Reply