Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Why 6 row for pumpkin ales?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
dcp27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

sorry, used up was a poor choice of words, i simply meant that the added starch from the pumpkin (as little as it may be) would use the enzymes in the same manner as grain and thus slow down the conversion (fairly insignificantly), i.e. make a higher starch:enzyme ratio

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Didn't look it up but if I remember pumpkin is only 10-15% convertible starches.. not enough to need extra enzymes..

Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 10-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #13
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 1157

I use 2-row for my pumpkin ale and just lengthen the rest to 90 minutes (which probably isn't even necessary). Turnes out great and I don't plan to do anything differently in the future.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 10-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmanster View Post
Didn't look it up but if I remember pumpkin is only 10-15% convertible starches.. not enough to need extra enzymes..
It actually has quite a bit less starch than even that. My can of Libby's says 7% total carbs, which includes fiber, sugar, and starch. But the label says fiber and sugar is the entirety of that 7%, thus leaving very little if any starch. One web site says 0.3% starch, which is consistent with the Libby's label.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
It actually has quite a bit less starch than even that. My can of Libby's says 7% total carbs, which includes fiber, sugar, and starch. But the label says fiber and sugar is the entirety of that 7%, thus leaving very little if any starch. One web site says 0.3% starch, which is consistent with the Libby's label.
Just keep in mind exactly what that label actually means - it means that, per suggested serving size, there is 7% of the suggested daily intake of total carbs (specifically fiber, sugar, and starch) for a recommended 2,000 calorie diet. That does not mean that 7% of the contents of the can is those carbs.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I suspect you are looking at an older recipe. Modern, fully-converted 2-row can do any job 6-row can.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
Just keep in mind exactly what that label actually means - it means that, per suggested serving size, there is 7% of the suggested daily intake of total carbs (specifically fiber, sugar, and starch) for a recommended 2,000 calorie diet. That does not mean that 7% of the contents of the can is those carbs.
Utterly wrong, but kudos for confusing things.

The can states that in each 122g, there are 9g of Total Carbs, which includes 5g of Dietary Fiber, 4g of Sugars, with the remainder (unlisted but roughly 0g) being starch. So that's 7% Carbs by weight and very little starch.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I used 2 row for my pumpkin ale this year (first time doing it all-grain) and it worked out fine...the runnings were a little more viscous than I'm used to, but it worked out OK...drinking one now, and it's tasty if I do say so myself...

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
Utterly wrong, but kudos for confusing things.

The can states that in each 122g, there are 9g of Total Carbs, which includes 5g of Dietary Fiber, 4g of Sugars, with the remainder (unlisted but roughly 0g) being starch. So that's 7% Carbs by weight and very little starch.
My mistake - I read the percentages and, wrongly, assumed someone had read the percentages off the nutritional label and were going by that, rather than reading the weights and doing the math.

Still, no need to get snippy/douchey about a response to a somewhat vague post. We're all friends here, man!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger

My mistake - I read the percentages and, wrongly, assumed someone had read the percentages off the nutritional label and were going by that, rather than reading the weights and doing the math.

Still, no need to get snippy/douchey about a response to a somewhat vague post. We're all friends here, man!
What's douchey is calling somebody out as being wrong when you can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds getting the facts straight first. And you know what they say about making Assumptions!

Quick Reply