Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Who's planning a pumpkin brew this fall?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
wells11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Who's planning a pumpkin brew this fall?

What style and will you use real, canned pumpkin, or none at all?

I'm planning on doing a Pumpking clone with a family member. Tried it last night for the first time it is pretty good! Going to use real pumpkin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #2
Dmlsys23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 23 Posts

I'm doing NB's Smashing Pumpkin Ale via a mini mash with 60 oz of canned pumpkin. Hoping it's good!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I have one I designed and brewed last year using canned pumpkin.
Went on tap the 1st of October and sold out 3bbl in right at 3 weeks which is pretty good for us. I plan on brewing it again this year as well.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 08-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Dhinds10583
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmlsys23
I'm doing NB's Smashing Pumpkin Ale via a mini mash with 60 oz of canned pumpkin. Hoping it's good!
I've brewed their recipe a couple years in a row now and everyone seems to like it. I've brewed it with real pumpkin and without. I was not able to tell a while lot of difference. Both were good.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
AttenuatingCircumstances
Recipes 

I too have a partial mash recipe that I did last year that was a huge hit with friends. They liked it more than all of the store-bought pumpkin ales that I gave to them in a taste test (Sam Adams, O'Fallon, Blue Moon). I'm now doing all-grain but I was too scared to convert it this year and mess it up so I'm sticking with the partial mash for one more year! I used canned pumpkin and also a pound of brown sugar to add to the recipe.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
wells11
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was thinking about this style and posted this question in the all grain forum:

I have a couple questions, first how are so many breweries selling pumpkin beers already when pumpkins are not in season? Are they not using pumpkins and going right for the canned stuff?

My next question is most say they have a crust flavor are they using some sort of extract or actual pie crust?

Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by wells11 View Post
I was thinking about this style and posted this question in the all grain forum:

I have a couple questions, first how are so many breweries selling pumpkin beers already when pumpkins are not in season? Are they not using pumpkins and going right for the canned stuff?

My next question is most say they have a crust flavor are they using some sort of extract or actual pie crust?
Most pumpkin beers are brewed with spices familiar to pumpkin flavoring such as in pies rather than actual pumpkin, I am a fan of using actual pumpkin as it adds a silky smooth texture and a definite flavor that is unique unto itself.

Crust flavor could be an addition of a grain such as Biscuit in conjunction with using Marris Otter as the primary grain since they will both give off a "bready flavor".

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
reverendj1
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I did mine last weekend. I wanted a smoked pumpkin stout, and based it off Yooper's Oatmeal Stout. I used 3 cans of pumpkin, some smoked malt, pumpkin pie spices and a package of graham crackers. I think this is going to be a project beer for a while to nail down the recipe.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 148

My version started as a Samhain pumpkin recipe, but it has progressed to something a little different. Current recipe uses a bunch of honey malt, and a few drops of Mccormicks butter nut extract, and WLP028. I have made it with both fresh pumpkin and canned. This year's batch was brewed in May, and I will be drinking in December. Plenty of time to age and get happy.

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 08-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm gonna try a Pumking clone I found on here. I must say I was not a fan of pumpkin beers until I tried this one.

As for the crust flavor, the "vanilla butter nut extract" seems interesting. I'm gonna grab some and put a dab into a pumpkin beer that has no crust flavor and see how it changes the flavor profile. My other idea is to mash a couple boxes of graham crackers with the grain and pumpkin.

Quick Reply