Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Who's Afraid of BMC?: Garrett Oliver (of Brooklyn Brewery) speaks out.
View Poll Results: Can the Craft Brewers survive their own success?
Yes - even with merging, they'll maintain the diversity and quality of beer. 35 46.05%
No - rather than huck the Ring into Mt. Doom, they'll keep it - and we know where that leads. 2 2.63%
Maybe - it depends on whether their ideals overcome their desire for platinum toilet-seats 21 27.63%
How should I know? Who am I, Ralph Nader? 18 23.68%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #31
Kevin Dean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Having read this article I'm reminded of a similar spirit in another industry: software.

I've been beginning to notice similarities between the hombrewing community and the Free Software community which I am also a part of. Essentially, it comes down to sticking up for what you value, and consider "good" rather than making a product that is popular.

Not only has Free Software grown, some could argue that it's thrived. Budweiser is pouring millions of dollars into advertising... Craftbrewers don't spend much, but their product is coveted.

It's a damn proud moment when you can sit back and say to yourself "I make a product so good I don't have to advertise it and I gain market share."

It also means there are smart people out there who love things because they're more than "popular".

Viva Libre!

"What's your name? Well my mom calls me Son, and my cat calls me Meow, either will do." -- Sam Dodson of the Obscured Truth Network

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 AM   #32
Bosh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n Jewbeard
I like that you've brought that aspect (the expanding market) into this, and I think in fact we're seeing now something that happened in the wine market - only in reverse.

I believe wine consumption in the US had been mostly flat until a) associated health benefits were reported, and b) winemakers created a lower-price, less snooty market.
Well I don't think that the market will expand all that much in the sense that people will drink more beer, but I think that it will expand in the sense of people willing to pay more money for the same amount of beer. Part of this will be beer drinkers realizing there's beer that tastes good, part will be the crappier and more expensive imports being squeezed out of the market, hopefully a bit will be American craft beers getting exported more than they have been, maybe a bit of it will be people realizing that they can get awesome beer for the price of very mediocre wine and some of it will be the modest growth in the previously pretty much non-existant market for very expensive beer (high alcohol aged beers, I know I'd pay a lot for some aged very tasty Imperial Stout if there were any place to buy it in Korea, I'd sure as hell would rather have that than champagne for a special occasion).

Oh and question for people in the know: I know that barley prices are going up but aren't corn prices going up even faster? Won't that hurt the big breweries that use a lot of corn syrup in their beers?

On deck: Oatmeal Stout
Primary: Bourbon Red Ale
Bottled: Dunkelweizen and Dunkel

Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 AM   #33
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh
Oh and question for people in the know: I know that barley prices are going up but aren't corn prices going up even faster? Won't that hurt the big breweries that use a lot of corn syrup in their beers?
Then they'll use rice. They will always find a way.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply