The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Whoops, my Irish Stout is an Irish Brown...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
debtman7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Whoops, my Irish Stout is an Irish Brown...

So I brewed a batch of beer for a St. Patrick's day party yesterday, but to keep it cheap I kind of made it a kitchen sink beer to use up stuff I had left over. In addition to roasted barley (which I didn't weigh), I threw in maybe a half pound of caramel 120, caramel 60 and a bit of victory and some flaked barley. Unfortunately it seem I had less roasted barley than I thought and looking at it today, well, it looks pretty brown. Maybe darkish brown, but definitely not stout dark.

I subscribe to the philosophy that no matter what it will be beer, and likely tasty. However, I'd prefer it to be more stoutish...

If I were to go grab some more roasted barley tomorrow, steep it in a little water and mix it in after a few days of primary fermentation, would that potentially work? Or is that a bad idea?

I could always add a little black food coloring I suppose

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 AM   #2
Want2Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Steeping some roasted barley would be worth a shot but make sure you boil the water or what ever it would be called that you drain off of the grain before you add it to your beer so as not to infect it. You could add a little 2 row to it as well and do sort of a mini mash if you wanted to. That way maybe you would not really water the beer down any.

Last edited by Want2Brew; 03-01-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply