The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Wholesale beer prices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
BrewSpook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wholesale beer prices

Does anyone know if there is a price difference between the price charged for me to buy a keg of beer and the price a place would charge a bar or restaurant to buy a keg of the same beer?

I was just curious because it seems like a brewery wouldn't make very much at all selling kegs after you take out materials and overhead. I know it used to be that bars were charged more for liquor they would buy for resale... when I worked at a club in Milwaukee the bar would be charged $50 for a bottle of vodka that I could buy for $20 at the liquor store.

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

From what I've seen (and this isn't a statistical universe), bars and restaurants pay 10-20% less than retail if they have much volume.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Rundownhouse
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

IME, a brewery will charge the distributor a wholesale price, and the distributor charges accounts a retail price. This goes even for the largest volume retail account in Nashville.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewSpook View Post
Does anyone know if there is a price difference between the price charged for me to buy a keg of beer and the price a place would charge a bar or restaurant to buy a keg of the same beer?

I was just curious because it seems like a brewery wouldn't make very much at all selling kegs after you take out materials and overhead. I know it used to be that bars were charged more for liquor they would buy for resale... when I worked at a club in Milwaukee the bar would be charged $50 for a bottle of vodka that I could buy for $20 at the liquor store.
Pretty sure its like this in SC. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I remember hearing the owner of a local bar that served a ton of craft beer bitching about it. They partner with a beers store to bring new beers into the area. The beer store can get the beer for wholesale prices, but the bar has to buy it for considerably more. Thats why a beer at a restaurant or good beer bar is so expensive per glass, opposed to going out and buying a 6 pack at the store. At least thats my impression.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
it seems like a brewery wouldn't make very much at all selling kegs
They don't and the brewer doesn't

Now you see why this is a hobby?
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #6
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 29

The rules vary by state. It is tightly controlled madness.

The actual material cost of brewing a pint of beer on a large scale is pretty small.
Consider unmalted Barley is less than 10 cents per pound and hops are going to be dirt cheap under contract. We can buy Willamette pellets for under $4 a pound... imagine what the big breweries are paying.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Bars have to pay a good amount more than you do for liquor. They have to buy from distributors but can buy a certain very limited amount from the grocery store if necessary. It is cheaper for them to buy from the grocery or liquor store than the distributor.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
Brewstorm
Recipes 

First off, the laws very GREATLY state to state. In Maryland, all wholesale must be sold at the same price to every bar, restaurant, grocery store, all retail outlets. They can have quantity discounts, but again, must be available to all. Any preferential treatment is illegal. Rebates are also illegal.

Second, you are in the Commonwealth of Virginia, aren't all alcohol sales by the state itself? You are literally buying from the state, so who knows what the setup is.

Any bar who pays a higher price wholesale then retail must be not be selling very much of those liquors. I have never heard of a system where the wholesale price is more then the retail price. I guess anything is possible, or some bar owner is straight lying to make it look like his margin is less (very possible, if you ask me)

Old 12-27-2010, 11:43 PM   #9
Dogphish
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

i live in VA. distilled liquor can only be bought at state run ABC stores. the price of a bottle of liquor is the EXACT same price in every store (controlled by computers).

beer and wine you can buy at the gas station, grocery store, etc. i know that in CO any thing over 3.2%ABV must be bought from a liquor store.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
BrewSpook
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes in VA all hard liquor must be bought through state run ABC stores, which sucks.

The reason I am asking is for a school business plan project I will have to do next semester, in order to get my profit estimates correct. If I can go to my local bottle shop and pick up a keg of Sam Adams Boston Lager for $145.

Going off statistics from the micro matic draft beer profitability site, this would yield ~ 135 16 oz beers with 3/4inch head @ about $1.07 each in cost. Sam Adams goes for around $5.00 a glass here in Richmond. That being said, the establishment would net a profit of $530 off of one keg of sam adams while the brewery itself keeps a small margin of this.

Now if the restaurant was charged say $300 for the same keg, at wholesale intended for resale, the brewery would make more of a profit as they know what the bar will end up selling it for, distributor makes more $, and the bar still rakes in $375 profit. The beer would cst ~ $2.22 per glass.

That was my thought behind posting this and I was hoping someone can confirm since I know that is how liquor is done in some places. The price has to be less for direct consumers (people who buy kegs for themselves/parties) or producers would have to jack up their prices.

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Quick Reply