Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Whole Hops Brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
TurnX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Whole Hops Brewing

I did some quick google searches and didn't turn up anything, so I thought I would ask here.

We have started growing our own hops this year and I was hoping to use them in a brew this fall. I thought it would be fun to use only hops we had grown, assuming we collect enough to make that plausible. Now I would imagine there are at least some differences between brewing with pellet hops and whole hops and was hoping for some pointers. Anything I should know about going in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
iandh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I prefer whole hop brewing over pellets.

- I would not use a hop spider since the cones expand a lot
- I would have a screen on your pickup tube/racking can/<insert however you get your wort into carboys> so your tubing doesn't get clogged
- Whole hops absorb a lot of wort, so you'll lose some of your final volume of wort when you transfer to carboys
- Use hops you grow for flavor and aroma additions, since you have no idea what the alpha content of the hops is

Old 06-27-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Whole hops are great for dry-hopping in a keg, pellets are not.
You want to use 5 gal nylon paint strainer bags from Home Depot for whole hops, both for brewing and/or dry-hopping.

Quick Reply